Author Topic: New additions  (Read 3211 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
New additions
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
I haven't posted my new tools for a while.
Photo 1
A 10 inch Fordson S handle adjustable by Keystone.
Eight and a half inch L. Coes. First one that I have seen that was nickel plated.
Eight inch Robinson monkey wrench. Info is scarce for Robinson. 1886 patent. It is different from Coes with the nut ahead of the grip. The handle is made in three pieces. I wonder if this is factory or replacement? The football logo is not on the S wrench.
Six inch Robinson S handle adjustable.
Photo 2
A tiny Stanley ball peen with the label intact.
A Stanley Utility knife that I tuned up.
A Hibbing Spencer and Bartlett 'Rev O Noc' 8 inch. HSB was a large tool and hardware distributor like Simmons or Cotter & Co. My first attempt at new scales. I'm not thrilled with the results, but I learned a bit about the process. I did find out where Revonoc came from. At one point a Mr Conover was president of the company. That would have been an interesting marketing meeting when it got it's name.
Photo 3
Sherman-Klove Toolbox. It is in pretty good shape. I like the blue-green paint.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:13:19 AM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
Re: New additions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
Thats a nice group, the Robinson is to cool.
RooK E

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
nice clean wrenches  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
 That Coes style Robinson is interesting. Datamp shows a couple of patents for Squire Robinson but mostly pertain to how end of pin in end of adjuster is supported. Cope shows a similar Robinson wrench in 2nd edition page 266 but his picture has hex -round part between handle and ajuster support being reverse of your wrench. Coes has hex part larger than round part that fits handle instead of round part being larger and hex part smaller. Neither of your wrench or Coes example look like patent drawing but that is not surprizing. Schultz 413 also shows an example. Handle nut on your wrench might be a replacement as other examples show smooth tapered nut with slot instead of nut with hex.
 Some nice finds.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
That is a nice assortment.    The old razor knife, I have my uncles shop, and while cleaning it out, one dropped out of the wall, just like that one.   He passed on when I was 4, so its the only tool of his I'm apt to have.  Thank you for sharing the photos. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
Very nice group, John!  I like that gasket making ball pein.  I've recently picked up that Stanley 199 myself.....after having seen what scottg had done to one.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline kxxr

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:30 AM »
I was in a tool store the other day and to my surprise, saw those Stanley 199s on the shelf. Reissues!

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
Great group of tools!
Hold Fast

David

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
To me the hex piece at the top of the handle looks to be a nut put in there as a spacer and the rest of the handle has been replaced.

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

It certainly seems out of place.
The hex ferrule on the Robinson is only on the perfect handle style, it is  threaded internally, and takes up the space between the wrench body and the wood side pieces by being screwed toward the handle. (The flange part is inside tapered and compresses the wood pieces together)
 It would serve no purpose on a regular hollow handle that has a nut on the end that to do the same thing.....

The segmented look of the handle leads me to suspect someone found something just about the right size, like a few thread bobbins, and did come frugal recycling...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
 In my comment the last two mentions of coes should have been cope. Sorry for typo or is that a mento.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:59:36 AM »
I was in a tool store the other day and to my surprise, saw those Stanley 199s on the shelf. Reissues!

The newer 199s are not aluminum castings of the originals, but pot metal, and the mouth is a bit different.
The 199 is still one of the most beautiful of the box knives.  I've managed to accumulate about three
of them.  One of them I used as a teen to open shipping boxes in the receiving area of my grandfather's
store.  I love them, too.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
I had to look it up, but yes the new Stanley 199s do have a different look. They say that extra gadgetry at the mouth is for "added strength".

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
I had to look it up, but yes the new Stanley 199s do have a different look. They say that extra gadgetry at the mouth is for "added strength".

Call me cynical, but I think the "added strength" was made necessary with the change in metals.  I've never had a problem with the old aluminum castings.