Author Topic: recovering plane collector  (Read 7148 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
recovering plane collector
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
 I think its working. I've moved from plane collecting to farm wrench collecting. Still have trouble passing up a good plane. Saw a type one Stanley 130 at auction yesterday. Left auction (a Good sign) started back to auction (a bad sign);went to lunch instead (a great sign). I may have this addiction partly under control. There were at least two tool collectors at auction and plane would not have been  a steal but I feel good about not going back (I think)
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: recovering plane collector
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »
Jim, be strong.   Take it a day at a time, and be sure to always carry some old tools in the truck to fondle if the temptation grows too high.   Just yesterday I was in an antique mall.   Among other things, I found myself holding a breast drill made by Millers Falls, a six inch monkey wrench, with the adjuster made differently from what I have, and a 1940s electric soldering iron, the iron and the drill were pristine.   I held these for close to ten minutes, looking at cast wrenches, branding irons,  and drawknives.   At the end of ten minutes the light went on that told me I already have 3 or more of each, besides the prices were too dear.    So without a bit of hesitation I took them back to their shelf,  arranged them attractively, and left the store.   I hurt for a few miles, but feel fine now.   At home I went straight to the shop and touched several tools, all is better! 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Those 130 models are getting hard to find....  especially if you have a type 1.  .....  star on the cap/  Pat'd jan.30.82????   That's awfully tempting!!!  I'm in love with planes......  yeah, I don't have a significant other..... so, I'm in love with my tools!!!!!  I love planes.......  I "collected"  them for a purpose.  I use planes in my line of work every day. ...  from the big 28" (the largest plane that I feel I have control of)  plane down to the 1  3/4 "  plane.  And then, of course there are molding planes.  It seems that it's impossible to acquire every type of molding plane.....  probably because persons carved a new groove, shaved something here or there  to suit the needs of a particularly project.  But, with a few molding planes, you can create endless edges, shapes, ........  just try and find a router bit that has that kind of versatility!
     My guess is if you've moved from collecting planes to collecting wrenches, it's probably a less expensive habit.  Yes, wrenches can be worth a BUNCH of money.  But, even a shitty plane costs too much.  If you're a woodworker, you've probably obtained the important planes you need already. After that, unless you're incredibly rich,  collecting planes is a very expensive addiction. ....  of course, I just looked around my office.......  I've figured out why I can't walk in this room......................... too many wrenches everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! 
         However, if you've kicked the "plane addiction"  and moved on to wrenches...  you're probably better off.
cheers,
bird.

I think its working. I've moved from plane collecting to farm wrench collecting. Still have trouble passing up a good plane. Saw a type one Stanley 130 at auction yesterday. Left auction (a Good sign) started back to auction (a bad sign);went to lunch instead (a great sign). I may have this addiction partly under control. There were at least two tool collectors at auction and plane would not have been  a steal but I feel good about not going back (I think)
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
 I have recovered from a lot of things now.  Its definitely the way to go.
 But I don't ever want to stop completely.

I paid too much for my education (buying every crap thing I saw for years).
  Now I just watch with a much sharper eye.  If a great deal on a great tool of practically any kind comes along, I'll pounce.
 Otherwise, passssssssss.

I might have watched the type 1 just to make sure it didn't go too cheap.

Adding wrenches is an excellent thing. Just watch out you learn what's what first, and buy slowly!
Otherwise you end up with a ton of dreck and might have passed the great ones as they were offered.

Quantity does not count, only quality.
 (believe me, I've been there)

My friend Tony came up with an early hand forged hammer in the French cobblers pattern I had been after for years. Early hand forged I didn't expect to find, ever.
  He priced it just below the edge of my budget, but no more (I know he knew it was going to me, just know it)
 I hadn't bought a hammer in years  (for money that is. I'll take free ones sometimes).
    But early swoopy French pattern, hand forged?
  Pounce!
    yours Scott

Offline Brophy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
Saw a type one Stanley 130 at auction yesterday.

One of these?....

I don't have a plane problem....I can quit anytime....yeah..... anytime.

....Rob (in plane recovery as well)
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
 Yep. Didn't have original blade but looked pretty good otherwise.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Brophy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

This one has the original blade with the patent dates....but its short. But what can you expect for three dollars.

...Rob
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
And thats the Plane truth, sometimes they just call to you, "Buy Meeee"...  Nice collection Brophy
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »

I don't know if collecting wrenches is any more or less addictive than collecting planes, or if wrenches are generally less expensive to collect.  I would think that a mint condition wrench found new in its original box could be a pricey item.  Without any apologies, I'm still a very committed Stanley hand plane collector, and probably always will be.  That being said, I think you made the right decision to walk away from the type 1 #130 because it no longer had its original cutting iron, or one that was marked with a vintage correct Stanley logo.  Sometimes trying to find correct vintage parts that are missing can be frustrating and potentially expensive!  I really don't like chasing parts.  If one is buying a plane to use then it doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done.  However, if the plane is going into a collection, acquiring a complete plane with vintage correct parts in the best factory original condition possible (preferably in its original box) is really the way to go.  Planes, wrenches, whatever the tool may be, you're still a collector and I think that's great!  Walking away from an incomplete plane WAS the right move if you're a collector.  I would have passed on the plane too.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:34:34 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
 May have shot myself in the foot. Went back to Mon auction to see who bought the 130. First collector said "I didn't stay to see it sell";Second collector said"I didn't even see it." Ring man said "I don"t remember what it brought" Interpreted means it didn't bring a lot or He would have remembered it. Probably missed a bargain,but now I don't have to search for a blade for it.
I guess I have enough parts to search for;presentlly on hunt for fence for Stanley 378;knob and tote for Stanley No.2;lever cap(with B casting mark) for Stanley 104.
 I guess Jim C is right (buy complete planes)
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
May have shot myself in the foot. Went back to Mon auction to see who bought the 130. First collector said "I didn't stay to see it sell";Second collector said"I didn't even see it." Ring man said "I don"t remember what it brought" Interpreted means it didn't bring a lot or He would have remembered it. Probably missed a bargain,but now I don't have to search for a blade for it.
I guess I have enough parts to search for;presentlly on hunt for fence for Stanley 378;knob and tote for Stanley No.2;lever cap(with B casting mark) for Stanley 104.
 I guess Jim C is right (buy complete planes)

Jim,
I'm not entirely sure that I'm "right." I'm just not interested in chasing around for parts.  The beauty of most Stanley models is that parts can be mixed and matched between various eras and the planes work absolutely fine.  This is definitely the case with plane irons.  It was expected that an iron would eventually be sharpened, honed, ground, etc. to the point that it would have to be replaced by a new iron logically from a later era.  I've got a few user quality planes with some mixed and matched parts that work absolutely fine.  One of my favorites to change is the brass blade/iron depth adjusting wheel on the back of bench plane frogs.  I like the small wheel, but as you know, later planes came with a larger wheel.  Anyway, if you're buying a user plane, who cares about it having all vintage correct parts.  Still, even some user planes with missing parts can be difficult and expensive to find.  For example, the fence for your #378 could be one of those hard parts to find in user or collector condition.  As for collector quality planes, I try to buy the VERY BEST I can afford, and I'm VERY picky.  Any plane missing any of its original parts, or having parts that are not vintage correct, are not considered.  Unless I know FOR SURE that I can acquire that part in collector condition, and at a reasonable price, I'll pass every time.  I also avoid planes that have been refinished, cosmetically touched up, or altered in any way.  I won't even buy a user plane that's been refinished or over cleaned with a wire wheel, etc.  Broken parts (particularly rosewood totes and knobs) are a deal killer for me too.  Although they're still relatively abundant, they can be expensive.  I don't know if I'm happy or sad that you're a recovering plan collector, but as you can see, I'm still very much addicted!
Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
I'm kind of like jimwrench I have around 400 planes but probably haven't bought one in 8 or 10 monthes. I have allways collected a little bit of everything in the way of tools but in the last couple of years it has been mostly wrenches. I sure agree with jimc that buying an incomplete plane is not a good idea. I do have a few that I am just about ready to give up on. Before the days of Ebay I would buy just about anything because up in Canada there is not much around so you'd grab what you can whether it was complete or not. I do have have a few various parts so let me know what you guys are looking for and I'll have a look. I am looking for a lever cap for a transistion plane I think in 1 1/2'' wide version, I'm in Oregon right now and can't remember off the top of my head which number and type it is. I'll update this when I get home. I went to a used tool store in Portland today to have a look and I didn't find any planes They only had a couple of junkers but I did get over well over 100 wrenches, 4 -1/4'' ratchets, 2- 1/4" flex bars, 6 various pliers and a couple of other items. I'll post a list of what I got when I get it sorted out. I am only really looking for about 3 different brands so the majority is for trade material. I know for example that I got about 20 Penns wrenches so I if anybody is looking for them let me know.  Later. Jim

Offline Brophy

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
I take another approach. If the planes are broken or missing parts I buy 'em -if- they are cheap. I've maintained a plane junkyard for years in an old file cabinet in my shop and it's worked out very well.

There are plenty of planes in Canada, you just have to look for them. I've found Stanley 1-8, plain and corrugated (excluding 2C and 5 1/4C) in the wild at garage sales and flea markets. And most of the Bedrocks...even a 602C.

Not all are perfect, but I don't need them to be. I don't have a lot of money in them and I don't view having them as an investment. I don't even know how many I have...the Mrs counted over 500 at one point but I've sold most of them off, keeping a couple hundred of my absolute favorites.

I -don't- buy planes on eBay and limit myself to one or two at the annual tool show. The thrill is in the hunt.

This is my Stanley #1....

...it cost $3.50 CDN/3.58USD at a garage sale.

Next to it is a fake I made to turn into a drawer pull for a friends toolbox...

I'm not saying anyone's approach to buying tools is wrong, just that there are other ways to go about it if you don't have big bucks.

...Rob
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »
Rob. A little clarification. When I say there are not many planes in Canada I should have said where I live in Canada. I am In the small city of Prince George which is in the central interior of British Columbia. We are about 500 miles north of Vancouver and the border. This area of our country was not really settled until the railroad came thru around the end of the first world war.Our city to this day only has a population of about 80,000. Prior to this it was mainly natives, prospectors and trappers.There is a statistic which reads something like 70% of the Canadian population lives within 100 Miles of the US border and that I agree is where you can find lots of old tools. Jim

Offline Brophy

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »
I understand what you are saying Jim, but there must be some old tools around there somewhere. The railroad folks didn't show up with Skilsaws and cordless drills :-) Someone must have built the city. Also, the folks who moved there (likely from near the border) wouldn't come empty handed...everyone has a toolbox of some sort.

Most of the tools I find here are post WW1 and the majority of handplanes are Canadian made, so that kinda deflates the US border idea.

If you convince yourself there are no tools to be had, you're not going to find any. How many yard/estate/garage sales do you hit on a Saturday? How many flea markets? How many antique dealers/pickers are you on a first name basis with?

...Rob (originally from Woodfibre BC, near Squamish)
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!