Author Topic: Antique Tools For Sale  (Read 7338 times)

Offline jimbo503

Antique Tools For Sale
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
1. Antique brass and wood folding 24" ruler. MW and Co. #1802, U.S.A. It has an area of stain  but all numbers are legible. $10

2. This is a very early 1900 pipe wrench manufactured by F.E. Wells and Son of Greenfield, Mass, NY. It has a wooden handle and is workable. 9" length closed. $15

3. This is a Bernard's combination pliers and cutter manufactered by Schollhorn Co., New Haven Conn. One handle is embossed with "PAT Apr 2 1907.. June 17 1913". The other is embossed with a St Bernard dog with "Bernard's" on the body. $15

4.Gas Burner Pliers Manufactured by W.H. Johnson, Newark, N.J. Stamped with #8. $10

5.Vintage Billings and Spencer S-shaped wrench .  It is inscribed with "Billings and Spencer Company of Hartford, Conn" "8/BOC" (?); 1/2" size on one end and 11/16" (?) on the other. $10

6..Hubcap Wheel Lug Wrench . Manufactured by Fairmont Cleveland. 8 3/4 inches long; box end is 2 1/8", open end is 1 1/2 inches; weight is 12 oz. Droped forged steel. $10

I will ship via USPS (Ask me for a shipping quote). Payment by Postal money order. Listed prices do not include postage.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:25:07 PM by jimbo503 »

Offline keykeeper

Re: Antique Tools For Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
No 2 is a pipe wrench.

Do these prices include shipping?
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
Prices do not reflect postage. I weigh the item and calculate postage from USPS on-ine site. If you want a postage quote on a particular item, let me know. Thanks for pointing out that "monkey wrench" is a "pipe wrench". I'm a rookie.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Listed prices do not include postage.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
Too rich for my blood, I'm poor. Especially considering shipping isn't included. Those prices are more "antique store" prices to me, than friendly member to member sale prices.

Sorry, just how I feel. My new meds make me somewhat outspoken here lately.

I think you will find most of us on here are cheap SOB's when it comes right down to it, unless it is a smoking deal like Papaw just grabbed up from FrankLee on that Plierench set!!!

Good luck on your sales, though.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:37:44 AM »
I thought the whole point was to sell antique tools, not give them away. If the prices are too high then I won't sell them and adjustments made (that's free market). Some of the items on my other post are $10. If I pay postage (say$5) , gee that leaves me with a whooping $5 profit. Like I said, I'm not giving them away. Sounds to me like you have alot of lookers here and an limited list  of actual buyers (good old boys).

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
Jimbo, some of your tools are priced ok, and some seem high to some of us who have seen them come and go. Don't be discouraged, it costs you nothing to list them here, and if they don't sell, then take the sale post down and sell elsewhere, no problems here with that.

By the way, I am having to approve each of your posts because you are signing in as a guest rather than under the name registered here.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Keykeeper, I disagree that "most" are cheap SOB's. I've sold to five people on this forum in the last two months. I thought I got a fair price and they must have thought so also.
I price below Ebay sale prices.Good items should get a fair price no matter where you post them for sale.
I agree with Papaw, it costs nothing to list and the transaction is private , and no one needs to know you're not a cheap SOB.
It's always nice to get a " Steal" , but sometimes you pay fair for something you want and is hard to find in your area.
If nobody sold , we would be talking about the same tools we had for years.
My two cents.
Roy
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
I love a bargain as much as anyone, but I have also paid a high price when the tool was something I wanted badly or filled a hole in a set or collection.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Firstly, I thought ToolTalk was here primarily for the buyer, seller, and collector to information share / collaborate.  Further, I also thought the "rules" of selling were clear - something along the lines of "if you're here for profit you're in the wrong place".  When I see a new member that has no/limited thread contribution outside "FOR SALE", it tells me the member is here for profit.

For folks that have been here long enough to understand the membership, who collects what, what they're missing, what is hard to find in their area, etc. and that have a reputation on the site - I think the notion of buying/selling/trading makes sense.  For those that just joined, and that have limited exposure to the membership, and limited contribution to the primary focus of the website - I think its more prudent to spend time learning the group first and trying to have an impact; a contribution..

I have bought here and traded here.  99% of my buys have been at an inconsequential cost, or at the cost of shipping to me.  I try to make it a point not to sell here.  If I want to rid something - I offer it here first at my cost, for trade, or for free to a member where I know they'll value the tool .........and then move to Ebay, or Craiglist, or newspaper, or flea market (a business channel designed for the purpose) if I'm interested in profit.  I personally think this is the way it should be, but realize its just one man's way.

FYI - Keykeeper give me, free of any charge, a base I needed to fix a vise.  I didn't ask for it free, but that's how it came.  As a general statement, I believe the same holds true of all the contributing members......If you need it and you value it, and they have it and don't need it, you'll likely be the new owner at a very reasonable cost.  To me - that's a "good ole boy".

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
I only participate in a couple of forums but this is the only forum where I know if someone else has got it and dont need it they will in most cases give it away.

Or if they have it and they feel the other guy will enjoy it more same deal.

I have bought very few tools here, most were given to me or were practically given. I try and do the same.

I find it a tad discomforting  when someone comes here just to sell but I also know that one day someone will do just that and it will be something I am interested in and so I try and remember that very same thing might happen to one of the other guys here as well.

I am for instance interested in #6 hubcap wrench but like Branson mentioned I think this is more of an e-bay price and maybe a tad higher, if Branson or someone I knew were selling it for that price I would be more inclined to buy it cause I know them thru the forum and like them and want them to continue their hobby of having fun collecting old tools but someone that comes here just to sell and only sell I am less inclined to buy.

With that said get out there and get me some 6 inch 3 ring binders :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:23:02 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
I won't just throw out new members that show up only to sell here because that person may see who and how we are and come to be one of us. Everyone has the right to sell at whatever price wanted. If that price won't fly here, there are other avenues.
I hope Jimbo and any others joining Tool Talk ubderstand that and continue to contribute.

Offline jimbo503

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
All I saw in the "rules" were  "Buy, sell, and swap your tools. The focus of Tool Talk is old,antique,classic, and vintage tools". I saw nothing about "if you're here for profit you're in the wrong place"as Oily Rascal eludes to. Perhaps there is an updated  list of rules which I missed?

The word "sell" means just that. I offer an item at a price. If no one wants the item or they want it but the price is too high, I can't sell it to them.  I either lower the price (not give it away) or close up shop. That's the free market place.

You all make it sound  as if I should have put "free antique tools"...........I'm sure I'd get responses then from certain of you.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
All I saw in the "rules" were  "Buy, sell, and swap your tools. The focus of Tool Talk is old,antique,classic, and vintage tools". I saw nothing about "if you're here for profit you're in the wrong place"as Oily Rascal eludes to. Perhaps there is an updated  list of rules which I missed?

The word "sell" means just that. I offer an item at a price. If no one wants the item or they want it but the price is too high, I can't sell it to them.  I either lower the price (not give it away) or close up shop. That's the free market place.

You all make it sound  as if I should have put "free antique tools"...........I'm sure I'd get responses then from certain of you.

I think you are misunderstanding us.

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »

I don't normally comment on policy, I'd rather talk about old rusty things, but...

Some forums have a rule against commenting on people's prices in classified's,
 --this is why--
It is a guaranteed flamewar.
We have started a conversation that really has nothing to do with the poor fellows item for sale, trashed the thread with comments about it, and for the most part, accomplished nothing other than annoying a new member....

If his prices are too high, he will figure it out shortly, all by himself.....

(Sorry KK, have to disagree with the general principal here...)

He played by the existing rules, and got roasted for it, not very neighborly....

If we want different rules, that's another thread , in another topic....and at papaw's whim...
2.2c
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.