Author Topic: Off Topic - Dog Gone It  (Read 4247 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Off Topic - Dog Gone It
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »
Fact is, we live nearly 2 miles down a gravel road.  It is a private road through private land, and the ONLY destination is my house or my grandmothers.  If you see a car, they are here to see YOU, or they're lost.

Twice now, in the two years we've lived here, we've had this situation happen.  My wife returning from work to find that someone has "dumped" puppies on our road.  The first time (last June) it was six puppies ~4 weeks old placed in a horse feed bag, with a knot tied on the bag, and thrown into 110 degree heat to die.  We were lucky to save 5 of the 6.  We brought them home and back to health, and found a home for each of them.

Today, it happened again.  Three puppies probably around 4 months old dumped in 100+ degree weather for dead.  Of course they are down to little of nothing, were infected with ticks and fleas, and probably are full of worms and who knows what else.  We begin the process AGAIN of bringing them back to health and finding them a home.

I will never understand how a person can do this.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Re: Off Topic - Dog Gone It
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:23:01 AM »
Mr. Rascal, we live off the road 1/2 mile to our mailbox. on one side of our property is a campground that caters to season campers only. The campers bring  KITTIN IN THE SPRING AND LEAVE A CAT IN THE FALL these cats are left to fend for themselves and breed like rabbits more times than not end up at our doorstep.Sometimes there are forty cats on my driveway. The humane society gets notified every year and they say every year 30 dollars a cat and they will take them. I read in the paper that our local pound took in 20 cats from Georgia that needed a home   DUH. WHAT ABOUT LOCAL CATS The cat population is lowered every year by coyotes, starvation or diseases. But is that the right answer. they start having cat licences and fines if you have a cat without one and no age limit on kittens three weeks and up .we have one cat , spends his days lounging on the deck and his nights in the house . I would gladly buy a licence for him and fasten it to his collar .bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »
I feel you, Bob!  I've never owned a cat but have considered having a "tom cat" outside to fend away rodents.

The humane society gets notified every year and they say every year 30 dollars a cat and they will take them.

We are monthly contributors to our local human society, and a locally run "rescue group".  Despite that, they will not take them in from us (at any price) because they are over crowded already and know we are not having a hardship.  If I were to dump them on their doorstep overnight..............they'd take them in............that sound right?  Sure doesn't feel right. 

.....and breed like rabbits.........

Oh man, do I know first hand how this works :-)  I was forced to upgrade the 8' x 10' hutch; built a 2-story "bunny hotel" this year as the wife has a love for rabbits; Lion Heads.  I'm your man for determining the sex of a rabbit :-)

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:11:42 AM »
Dumping puppies in a tied sack, is criminal, I would have called the sheriff.   Or done the same as you.   Used to have a problem with dumped dogs out here, not so much since the price of gas went up.   The nearest pound is 50 miles away, round trip gas is $20, and would probably drive by the persons house that dumped them.  Makes your blood boil, but one of those things you can't do much about.   Maybe a picture of the pups to the local paper, the culprits neighbors might recognize them?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »
Thats just wrong, I dont care who you are an what your situation is that is just plain wrong.

Down in louisana a good friend of mine lived on a ranch were her and her family worked with the ASPCA. They would house mainly horses but also some livestock if needed for the ASPCA untill they were back in good health and able to go to new homes. The conditions of these horses was unhumane and unnacceptable. I would always be shocked time an time again at the conditions they were left in. Open wounds, bugs of every type, diseases, hoof problems, etc, every possible form of neglect was seen. Some horses had to be put down. I just dont get it at all. How does someone treat a animal so poorly?

What got me even more in chicago is how some of the carrige horses are treated. My friend wanted to go on a carrige ride downtown so ime like yeh sure. I never really payed attion the times ive been downtown to the horses. I aint no vet and only know a little about horses but its still bad when you see overgorwn hoofs, skin rubbed raw from harnesses an so one. Needless to say I didnt wana go on that one. But I looked a little more into it online when I got home and I never realized how contraversial the issue is an it actually exists.

Anyway I just dont get animal abuse. I feel its just wrong no matter what.

Glad to here you did good thoe in this case an helped out some puppies.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
All 3 puppies now have gone to a good home.  A young single mother just moving to the country wanted them (ALL) to raise as "yard dogs" to help guard her place. 

Our fenced yard is happy to see them gone.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
You did a good deed OR
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline BruceS

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
I have no tolerance for those who dump dogs, they deserve the same treatment ! Dogs deserve more than that.

But those who dump cats that go Ferrel are more despicable ! Cats kill and eat quail, rabbits, pheasant and eat turkey eggs.   To me Ferrel cats are target practice and treated as such ! And then they become food for Opossums, vultures and carrion beetles.  So they do have a purpose.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
But those who dump cats that go Ferrel are more despicable ! Cats kill and eat quail, rabbits, pheasant and eat turkey eggs.   To me Ferrel cats are target practice and treated as such ! And then they become food for Opossums, vultures and carrion beetles.  So they do have a purpose.

Um, dogs go feral, too.  Eat the same things, but also do pack behavior and take down live stock.  Not pretty, what a pack of dogs will mutilate.
Also good for target practice.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »
Something else thats good for target practice is people that feel a living animal is good for target practice. Pick on something your own size that has a fighting chance I say but I guess thats sometimes not much fun since sometimes they might have a leg to stand on too fight back.

Nuthin personal but I am an animal lover and find greater comfort in most of the animals I have met than the humans that are polluting this earth with their disease.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:11:16 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »
I hear you, 1930.  I have a big heart for animals myself.   

The good news is, those three puppies have a home where they will be cared for.

Now, back to my bubble I live in.