Author Topic: Type 11 No.4C wood  (Read 5571 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Type 11 No.4C wood
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
 Yesterday I acquired at auction a No 4C plane missing the lever cap,cutter & chip breaker. Thought the relatively good rosewood tote and knob would allow me to budget $5 for the wood. Got it for one dollar and ten cents (thats american money). Was satisfied as I got a Briegel Method crimping tool for electrical conduit (607) with it. Already had a copy of the crimper so it had little value to me. Anyway when I cleaned the plane up a little it turned out to be a Type 11 (3 Patent dates) . Now I don't know if I should keep the plane and find the missing parts or put the wood on another plane with cracked tote. Good advise is needed before I stay down the wrong path. If a gloat is sensed it is intended but it did cost 4 hours of my life.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Branson

Re: Type 11 No.4C wood
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
Why have one plane when you can have two?  There are sites on the net that can provide original parts, so a proper lever cap and blade should be easy enough come by.  The same sites also have totes and knobs, and some others show you how to repair the broken ones.  Wish I had a 4C.  Have to make do with a couple of mere 4s and 5Cs...

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »

Well ok, 4 hours is a lot. Taken by-the-hour rates.

But its close to suckage!!

Lately, Stanley tote reproductions are going for 40 bucks a pop. Originals are snapped up fast.
  And type 11 is perpetually in pretty high demand too.
 Lever caps, cap iron and blades are easy to get and cheaper than totes.
In fact, anything beyond type 5 and up to type 19 will fit, although really, you would probably want to find a plain lever cap from before type 12.  Still super easy to get for a #4. 
 I might even have something in my boneyard if you are desperate. Nothing from my parts drawer is going to be squeaky mint. 

You should try a (Rev) Ron Hock blade sometime if you haven't.  Pretty nice.  You can get them cheaper and for less postage from other dealers than ordering direct from the Rev, because he hates packing/mailing so much. heeheheh
 Lazy slug of an old coastal hippie friend o mine heh heh
   yours Scott

OH ps That site on repairing plane totes? would be me. :)
http://www.wkfinetools.com/tRestore/planes/fixTote/fixTote-1.asp

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:14:07 PM by scottg »

Offline stanley62

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
Nice Grab.  You know my opinion, since type 11 is my fav-o-rite!!!  I would put it on the end of my work bench with the other type 11's that I am gathering parts for.

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.