Author Topic: The Lock Master  (Read 3726 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
The Lock Master
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
I had a cousin call me today needing some help and I visited his place today to assist him.  We are very close and always have been.  He lives on the estate of his late grandfather - my great uncle.

We had an occasion to visit a storage building looking for a tool.  Of course leading me into a storage building with tools is like taking a kid to the arcade.  He gladly started digging into box after box after box of tools - as it turns out tools of our family's.  It seems the majority of all three brothers tools have congregated and are now in a few storage buildings at my cousin's place.

Those boys were born in the early 1900s.  The tools were a snapshot of that timeline in history.  There was a little sample of nearly everything from (wooden) block planes, wood shaves, plumb wrenches, hand crank grinders, proto punches, gasoline powered table saw, flat-belt driven saw of some sort, saw mill in the woods, several plows.........so many tools it got to the point I felt overwhelmed, and asked if I might schedule some time to come back with my camera and notepad so I could be more organized.

I'd heard horror stories of tools from this side of the family having been stolen and long gone.  Apparently that is not true, and I've found another stockpile of family tools - this time on my mother's side.  I'm excited to learn more about them.

PS:  My great uncle was, among many other things, a Lockmaster by trade - a "river rat" - but also had an automotive shop (as did both his brothers).  He was responsible for the lock & dam on the river locally.  He was also, I learned today, a pretty darn good blacksmith as well.  I saw a couple of hammers that my cousin was able to say positively say he'd forged (from stories from  his late dad).  I've not yet learned where he might have gained his teachings.  I'm told today there was a forge there at the house place at one time.  I have to think there may be a connection between his being a Lockmaster and a hobby blacksmith, and the only blacksmith around these parts of late having lived in a cabin ON THE RIVER.  The lock & dam was less than 3 miles up river from where I'm told "Duke Mason", the local blacksmith, lived.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
Re: The Lock Master
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
Wow, what great family history. From the title I was thinking doorlocks or padlocks? how wrong can you be. Family history is like collecting tools, the more you find out the more you want to know!
Graeme
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:23:57 AM by anglesmith »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
For you to say you are overwhelmed, when gazing at yet another pile of tools, almost hurts my imagination!   Sure hope the cousin doesn't suggest you combine these with yours!   Maybe make sure he doens't find his way here to the Oily Shop journal?   This is even nicer being you did not know those tools exist.   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
I think you have to collect, clean and display the tools with some of your stories so the world can see
 JMHO bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:59:27 AM »
For you to say you are overwhelmed, when gazing at yet another pile of tools, almost hurts my imagination!   

Makes my head hurt, too.   Is this part two of a trilogy?  Waiting for pictures!

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
A few teaser pictures of the madness that must be tackled. 

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
WOW!
Great to see your family has kept so many of the old tools. So many families have no thought of preserving history.

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:58 PM »

That should keep you busy for a while , good grief..;P

Have you plugged that soldering iron in yet?

(And the fishing ruler is the best ;)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »
Have you plugged that soldering iron in yet?

:-) to funny!  I think I'll probably let it retire.  I have an earlier non corded type I really like to use :-)

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
I see lots of goodies in there, somethings possibly from Millers Falls.  There is a red electric motor with black pulleys, in a frame affair.   I do believe that is the roller to turn the tub of a rock polisher.   And hand saws, I spy some old ones in there.  Good thing the oily shop is all done, so now you have time to tackle this!

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »
There is a red electric motor with black pulleys, in a frame affair.   I do believe that is the roller to turn the tub of a rock polisher. 

I think you're right.  I had one like this, even to the red paint.

Offline rustynbent

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I have always thought about what heaven would look like, NOW I know.  Excuse me, I have to wipe the drool off my chin.

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
MAN!  there's a lot of good stuff there!  Is the drum for the tumbler there?  It will be lined with rubber.  Can be used to polish rocks or if you load your own shell you can add ground walnut shells with the brass to polish them.  There's a miter gauge from, I'm thinking a Delta saw.  Is there an old Delta  Unisaw around there too somewhere?  They are a great saw, I recently picked up an old one at an auction.  Looks like fun, enjoy!
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
I have a REAL soft spot for those old Bailey transition planes. If you arent going to do anything with it and would like to see it go to someone that would keep me in mind
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
I have a REAL soft spot for those old Bailey transition planes. If you arent going to do anything with it and would like to see it go to someone that would keep me in mind

Aren't they beauties!  I will admire it!  If I change my mind you'll know, but not likely to ever happen coming from my family....especially that side.  No disrespect to you, or reflection upon you, intended.

MAN!  there's a lot of good stuff there!  Is the drum for the tumbler there?  It will be lined with rubber.  Can be used to polish rocks or if you load your own shell you can add ground walnut shells with the brass to polish them.  There's a miter gauge from, I'm thinking a Delta saw.  Is there an old Delta  Unisaw around there too somewhere?  They are a great saw, I recently picked up an old one at an auction.  Looks like fun, enjoy!

Very good eye with the Delta miter gauge.  I haven't found the saw YET - but I only scratched the surface in one of two buildings.  I know he enjoyed polishing rocks - and its evident walking around the place.  I'm sure these parts are just strown about - we'll see.

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I have always thought about what heaven would look like, NOW I know.  Excuse me, I have to wipe the drool off my chin.

You're always welcome to drool in person!

I see lots of goodies in there, somethings possibly from Millers Falls.  There is a red electric motor with black pulleys, in a frame affair.   I do believe that is the roller to turn the tub of a rock polisher.   And hand saws, I spy some old ones in there.  Good thing the oily shop is all done, so now you have time to tackle this!

Good eye on that rock polisher.  I didn't know it was that - but makes great sense!  Again, I know he loved to polish rocks it seems he was doing so every time I visited....that, or weaving a hoop net.   Please point me to what you suspect is MF.  I'm guessing hand saws.  So much of this I just don't know about.

As with the shop project - I appreciate any and all comments - esp. on the pictures.