Author Topic: Strange Delavan Tool  (Read 4645 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
Strange Delavan Tool
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:24:48 AM »
According to this write up, it changes nozzles in flame retention air swirlers.  NO CLUE what they're talking about, but this was part of the missing flat referred to in the GD forum.  I'm kinda answering my own question here, but never seen this type of tool.  thought it might be a tappet adjuster or something.

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Strange Delavan Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:51:38 AM »
If you want to read more than you will ever want to know about the problem, not the tool- google "Problems with the small openings on flame-retention air swirlers" !
I read a bunch of it and still don't really know what they are talking about.

H24-465 | Delavan | 34478 | Johnstone SupplyNozzle changer will pass through new smaller openings on flame retention air swirlers Snap off outer socket and use inner socket to remove or install nozzle ...
www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/.../oil.../prodH24-465.html - Cached
total_lookFeb 13, 2011 ... Replacing a nozzle of one make with sometimes presents problems. ..... pass through the new smaller openings on flame-retention air swirlers. ... Filtration is particularly recommended for burners using small nozzles. ...
www.scribd.com/doc/48721556/total-look - Cached
PRESSURE SPRAY TYPE FUEL INJECTION NOZZLE HAVING AIR DISCHARGE ...Also provided in the air swirler are air sweeper holes which direct part of the ... A conventional flame retention ring surrounds these gas jets. .... contained in the exhaust gases is an important problem in increasing the capacity of ... a fuel nozzle having dual nozzle openings consisting of a small opening from ...
www.patsnap.com/patents/view/US3831854.html - Cached
Burner and method - Patent # 4431403 - PatentGeniusSecondary air flow openings in the cone admit swirling secondary air which ... The flame retention cone assures that the secondary air flowing through the ... 3 is an exploded view illustrating swirlers used in the burner air nozzle assembly; .... Performance is reduced with too small or too large a spray angle as ...
www.patentgenius.com/patent/4431403.html - Cached
[PDF] Small Oil Burner Concepts Based on Low Pressure Air AtomizationFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by T BUTCHER - 2000 - Cited by 1 - Related articles
Most of the air passes through. OIL INLE the outer swirler and spins out. INNER ORIFICE through the main ... arrangement used in traditional, retention head burners. ... In addition, the tertiary air annular opening is small, on the order ... arrangement of the air tube, burner head, and flame tube. ...
www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/755030-pLC8bY/native/ - Similar
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
..gotta be another application for this tool  ie I need to use it on SOMETHING!!  New, they're $51, but didn't check to see if it's a China product or not.

DM&FS

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:59:29 PM »
Well, you can send it to me and I'll see if it does a better job than the one I bought from Sid Harvey years ago, maybe Delvan got it right.

Changing the nozzle on a FRH burner ain't much different from changing the nozzle on any gun burner, there's just so much less room between the FRH diverter and the blast tube to make it fun.  Most people pull the blast tube out the back of the gun assembly and use 2 OE or hex wrenches, because it works.  Some burners are just so much fun getting the blast tube out of and back into wrenches go flying.  I have no idea how that happens.

The best example I can think of would be a sparkplug threaded into a plug extender inside of a small vacuum cleaner tube.

Ideally this device is 2 coaxial sockets, one holds the adapter the nozzle screws into and the second indexes the nozzle and loosens or tightens it.  The problem has always been either the trained ape at the burner factory or his gorilla cousin who last serviced the burner overtorqued the nozzle.  That might not even be a problem, if the nozzle wrench had sufficiently long handles. 
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »
Yeah.......what Phil said!!!!