Author Topic: Picked up a new Peter Wright & Vulcan Vise  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Mac53

Picked up a new Peter Wright & Vulcan Vise
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Everyone has been talking about their love of Peter Wright in one of the other topic, so I thought I'd show off what I got this weekend.

It is a 93lb Peter Wright. From what I can tell, it is very late production. Anvils in America states that if they have "England" stamped under Peter Wright, they are post 1910... but makes no reference to "Made N England", nor does it make reference to the (serial?) numbers stamped lower. I have seen a lot of Peter Wrights, but neither of these are markings I recognize....anyone have a clue?

Got it all rusty \ concrete on horn.

Cleaned it up

Probably the most crisp hardy hole I've seen on an old anvil

Also found this Vulcan No.2 chain vise.

-Marcus-

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Picked up a new Peter Wright & Vulcan Vise
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
If the model number?  was stamped with different stamps than the weight markings, I would say its just a factory inventory number, but you can see the "9"  is the same in each.   Have looked at a couple of dozen PW anvils, dont' remember seeing a number in that area.  I wonder what the book "Anvils in America" has to say about it?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Mac53

Re: Picked up a new Peter Wright & Vulcan Vise
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
I saw nothing about it having numbers there...and none of the Peter Wrights pictured had them either. Nothing about "Made N" in front of "England" either....just has pictures of, and states that they should just read "England"
-Marcus-