Author Topic: Off topic-Stuff found by our metal detector in our woods  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Off topic-Stuff found by our metal detector in our woods
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
I found a super sensitive metal detector in a flea market. It's a Fisher Model 65 M-Scope made is Los Banos, California.  It says its a "Valve and Box Locator". It worked fine for finding my son's class ring lost for 10 years in our woods.

I took the detector out in the woods to see what I could find when I first got it.  The woods in the front part of our property are a second growth stand of tulip poplar, dogwood, and spice bush. That part of the property must have been a hilltop meadow a century or more ago, based on the items  I found. The items were: a clothes hook (part); a non-ferrous butter knife, a fish hook, part of an iron ring, an iron tent peg, and a cast off hand-forged horseshoe. The area these items were found in was about half an acre in size.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Off topic-Stuff found by our metal detector in our woods
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
Gotta be fun using a real metal detector. The only ones I have ever had in hand were weak.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
First Class, as usual.  Please come visit my place!
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
Oily Rascal:

I looked at what you have found without a metal detector. You're doing just fine without one.

On another note. I've only been in Arkansas one time. I drove from Memphis to Earle on business. The land I drove over in Arkansas appeared to be delta land, rich in alluvial deposits from up north, and fairly flat. Is where you live this kind of land? Have the things you found been subject to any flooding.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:29:17 AM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
Is where you live this kind of land? Have the things you found been subject to any flooding.

No, Sir!  The topography and soil here is much different than that of the "Delta" areas of Arkansas around Memphis (or anywhere in AR along the mighty Mississippi).  South Arkansas topography is a mixture of rolling hills and flat land; with sandstone, sandy top soils, and the hardest red clay you'll ever see down 18".  There are a few gravel pit areas just east 20 miles, and the tomato growing capital of Bradley County is in delta land off the Ouachita river - also ~20 miles from here. 

There is a protected wetland and flood area on the property here, but the house place is on ~40 acres of high ground.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Had a blast as a kid in the Quachita, from Hot Spring county (Malvern).
RooK E