Author Topic: ESTATE SALE FIND  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
ESTATE SALE FIND
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
I found this interesting hatchet / ax at an estate sale this weekend. There is no name on it other than "NYCRE" stamped on it. The stamp is faint and looks like someone used a letter stamp set to put it on with. I'm not an ax expert but I have not come across one of these before with the nail puller on it.The handle is defiantly not original.

lzenglish

Re: ESTATE SALE FIND
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
That is a Very Cool looking Hatchet/Claw Hammer combo, the likes of which I have never seen before. I think it is a great idea for whatever production work it was designed for. I'm thinking box, or roofing application? And of course, I would have to guess the first 2 letters in the stamped name to be New York, but have no clue on the other 3.

Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
In A Dictionary of Hand Tools, by Alvin Sellers, there is one by Plumb, called a claw hatchet with a width of cut of 3 1/2 to 4 5/8 inches, with handle length of 12 1/2 to 14 inches. Page 228.
There is another couple of them on page 231 that is called  packing hatchet used for assembling wooden boxes and crates. These have a width of cut of 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 inches, with handle length of 11 to 13 inches,
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:39:30 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
Papaw is right on, claw hatchet is what I have seen the referred to in old sales literature/catalogs.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
That is a Very Cool looking Hatchet/Claw Hammer combo, the likes of which I have never seen before. I think it is a great idea for whatever production work it was designed for. I'm thinking box, or roofing application?Wayne

This is one of the two oldest designs for mass produced hatchets, the other being what is often called a shingling hatchet.  Eric Sloane, in A Museum of Early American Tools, dates the patterns to 1845.  They were manufactured well into the 20th Century, and may be still in production somewhere.  They were a standard issue for the US Army in the 1850s. 

I've bought several over the years, and passed by others.  The trick is to find one with the claws intact.  The claws are fragile when you miss your stroke on a big nail...  I've got one with one broken claw that I'm thinking about  turning into the shingling hatchet that came out at the same time.  I think I have another that's missing both claws.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
The width is 3 11/16". Are these that rare or were the claws that weak that they scrapped most of these ?

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

> "NYCRE" stamped on it

Is it possible the E is an R ?

(NYCRR New York Central Rail Road)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
The width is 3 11/16". Are these that rare or were the claws that weak that they scrapped most of these ?

I don't know how rare is "that rare."  I run across them from time to time.  The Baker & Hamilton catalog still listed them in 1949 -- they sold three brands of the claw hatchet.  Apparently a lot of people found them perfect for the job, since the claw hatchet was in production for over a hundred years. Check and see if they are still made somewhere.  I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
Well, I haven't found a traditional American claw hatchet currently in production, but China is manufacturing their rendition.

There are several on eBay currently.  (there's also a German made perfect handle hatchet, not that anyone here would be
interested...)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
perfect handle hatchet
on Ebay?
I put in a search for that and no joy- got a link?
I DON'T KNOW ANYONE who would be interested!

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

wvtools has a really neat one. (presumably marked for the railway express agency)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Claw-Hatchet-w-Applied-Wood-Handle-Marked-RY-EX-AGY-/400091963182#vi-desc
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

wvtools has a really neat one. (presumably marked for the railway express agency)

Speaking of wvtools, where are you John? We know your watching, so get back in the game!

Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
John hasn't returned since the recent forum disaster, but I think it is only because he is out on his rounds selling at different venues. His Ebay auctions note that he is unavailable until June 16th.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »

> "NYCRE" stamped on it

Is it possible the E is an R ?

(NYCRR New York Central Rail Road)

It is possible that the E is an R. The last letter is stamped very light.It's hard to tell.It would make sense tho.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:47:16 PM by Ken W. »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
The one John has is Railway Express Agency, I believe.