Author Topic: City Wide Yard Sale Scores on a Fri. Night  (Read 2160 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
City Wide Yard Sale Scores on a Fri. Night
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:55:41 AM »
Big score of the night was a Master 501G heat gun and it's Chinese Wagner cousin for $xx(can't bear to print the price).
 The rest came from old garages, maybe 4 stops total.  Sockets included a Craftsman, a SnapOn, a couple Hinsdales, and some Vanadiums.  The sockets were a dollar, the red tool tray held most everything else and it was 6 or 7 bucks.  The drifts are SK Waynes, The Blackhawk 1/2 Ratchet is a 49999, but missing the top piece that changes direction.  If someone needed it for parts , I might be able to let it go.  The ratchet mechanism on those things is so sweet.
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline bonneyman

Re: City Wide Yard Sale Scores on a Fri. Night
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
Looks like a fantastic haul! :)
Ratchet Guru

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
Excellent looking batch of tool finds! Friday night you say? That does not happen around my neck of the woods, but I wish it did! It is a Saturday Morning Only area that I live in. Are you looking for tool boxes to store all your finds in?

Wayne

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
I'm good for now on boxes.  The Multi level fold out"barn" I got a couple weeks ago will hold a ton of them.  Made by Waterloo.  Getting some of this stuff on the pegboard walls of my shop and that's taken some pressure off the tool box capacity too.  Thanks for asking though.  Now on to the Saturday finds

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
NE Iowa may be unique in that I rarely see flea markets(flood of 2008 may have wiped out the land they used to be held on), but yard sales start on Wednesdays sometimes and you'll see several on Sunday even.  We have a Veridian Credit Union swap sheet (both paper and on line version that lists a lot of yard sales) and you can search the word tools and save the sifting through all the others that just do baby clothes.  Ads there are free BTW.  ^The big C&W radio station owned by Cumulus Media does two really big yard sales at the Cattle Congress each year and that's another place to find good stuff for not much money.  I didn't have  enough to justify the $45 booth space this spring, but I will come October.  The local paper charges $40 for a decent sized yard sale ad, so it's kind of a wash as far as overhead goes.   The Cattle Congress events get major radio and press advertising, so the traffic flow is easily 20 times what would ever come to your house and it's 7-2PM and then everyone goes home.  Last fall they  collected $1 a head from 2500 folks to get in and $0 times 160 booth spaces.  They're doin' all right!!If you were selling furniture, it likely wouldn't be worth all the transporting, but tools are heavier, but easier to get from home to CC.

I still find that going to an auction is a better use of money in most cases, but it takes away from the "hunt" aspect of the obsession.  Not much skill or adventure in sifting through a bunch of Little Debbie cake cardboard flats inside a metal building.  I felt a much greater sense of accomplishment snagging that bag of sockets for a dollar last night and then discovering the Snapon and the two Hinsdales.  The Taiwan stuff is getting easier to spot through the ziplocs now. 

Enough rambling

YMMV

DM&FS