Author Topic: New project  (Read 9704 times)

Offline rusty

Re: New project
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
>Warning sirens are another hobby of mine

Used to be a fellow near here who had a yard full of strange and obscure junk (cough - treasure to be discovered). One of the things he had out back slowly rusting away was an air raid siren made from a slant 6 engine coupled to a giant fan/howler. Every time I went back there i would see that thing and wonder just how LOUD that sucker must have been...

(And how panicked some poor slob was when there was an air raid and the thing wouldn't start ;P)

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
"The rest just think I'm crazy."

My closest neighbor is a little over 1/2 mile away.(thank god) I have a home made "train" whistle on top of my barn. The closest train tracks are 10 to 12 miles north of us. One of the neighbors (not the closest one) told me it took them quite a while to figure out why they could hear the train blowing its whistle!

When I was on my "kick" of making damascus knife blades, I would take a nap when I got home from work and then hammer out in the blacksmith shop until two or so in the morning.(when it was cooler) We had a coon hunter stop by the house one day looking for a dog he had lost on a creek about a half mile over and he asked what we did at night that made so much noise!

I think most of my neighbors think I'm crazy too!

Just the way I like it! Bill D.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
Rusty-
Is that old thing still around? Sure sounds like a "Liberty Siren" ...Made by Chrysler. I'd kill for one of those things. Loudest siren ever made... (138dB @ 100ft)
-Marcus-

Offline rusty

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »

Sadly, no. The fellow passed away early last year, and the family 'cleaned up' the property. I didn't find out about that part until way too late :(

He had a garage full of tools also, many from the 40's....sigh
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
My son's 63 Pontiac Bonneville hearse that will someday be a Ghostbuster Ecto has a real siren. I made sure it worked soon after the car came to my house. Imagine some of my neighbors who are not of the best character get nervous when I fire that baby up!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
Trucks?  No tracked vehicles?   "But Bob, I was only testing the siren a little bit."  There is one on youtube, from the 50s, has a Chrysler Hemi driving the siren it self, 250HP, said it was heard almost 20 miles away.   Everybody has to have a hobby.   On the little parts cleanup, a man like you that has everything, get an old dishwasher, load some good soap, hot water, let it run a couple of hours.  John

Offline Mac53

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
Ugh, I hate it when treasure gets junked...

Papaw, what kind of siren do you have on that thing? I'd love to see a photo of it

John,
Sadly...no tracked vehicles. I'd really love to get a Hawk loader or maybe even a Bren or Weasel... I'd need something small. Lately I've been pondering the idea of selling one of my trucks and buying an old soviet AFV so I at least have some armour, but it is hard to find any that aren't in Hungary or something.

Update- Decided to go with blue after all
-Marcus-

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Mac53, that siren is so far buried behind the grill and bumper that I've never seen it!

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Siren with a Slant 6 ?   That's not a siren, this is a Siren !

http://www.billetproof.com/billetproofvideo/avc-view.aspx?videoid=24&categoryid=0

Don Garlits loves his Hemis !!

Brian L.