Author Topic: Info on this hammer?  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Mac53

Info on this hammer?
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Hey all,
Was digging through some stuff in my shop and came across this hammer I got a while ago. I recognized the name Heller and thought it was worth more examination. Can anyone tell me roughly how old it is? Name of this particular shape or the exact use it was originally intended for?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:24:12 PM by Mac53 »
-Marcus-

Offline keykeeper

Re: Info on this hammer?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
Tinsmith rivet hammer. Age? I would say 1940's-50's based on the logo.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »
Tinsmith rivet hammer. Age? I would say 1940's-50's based on the logo.

The pein looks like it has been modified.   That end looks sharp, as though it were made to serve as a cutter.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
It is fairly sharp, but I'm almost positive that it's original.
-Marcus-

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
It's original. I had a new-old-stock one just like it. Same weight, same marking. More commonly called Tinner's Riveting Hammer.

Here is one from another maker -- http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VAUGHAN-Riveting-Hammer-4A097?Pid=search

and another -- http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=6522

Don't know how it was used, but I've seen quite a few of them.
-Aaron C.

Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
Thank you!
I wonder- do you suppose you X the shaft with the peen and then just hammer it out? Would potentially be a lot faster than peening out the shaft into a head...
-Marcus-

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
I agree it is a tinman's hammer. The very similar tinman's riveting hammer has a small rounded pein. The angled pein on this one is for finishing off ( getting the tin to wrap right around ) the wired edge commonly used on early tinware. I think it's called a  tinner's paneing hammer.
Graeme

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
Wouldn't a paneing or setting hammer have the sharp peen end offset more towards the handle, instead of centered?

Maybe this is just a run of the mill machinist cross peen riveting hammer, then? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Machinist-Cross-Peen-Riveting-Hammer-16-Oz-Stamped-MWTCA-Peoria-1997-/400283703874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d32c49a42

Personally, I think they go by many names, but the end result is the same.....peening rivets in one fashion or another.

Graeme-Why do so many that are categorized as riveting hammers have sharp ends, then??

Edit: Here's an old clip from a catalog.....so what is right here???
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:42:59 PM by keykeeper »
-Aaron C.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
Keykeeper.
To your first question, Yes some do have a flat back (handle side), one drawing in a sheet metal book (Atkins 1927) even shows the angle pein opposite ways each end.  Some makers just used the riveting hammer forging  for the paneing hammer (to save tooling?) and just ground a sharp angle on it.
The cat.. page is certainly not very clear, but I think you'll find that normaly the riveting hammers had a 1/16-3/32 radius and the setting/paneing hammer was a sharp angle. Regarding categorizing and naming, I think there was/is a disconect between maker and user,which is growing as the years pass, the two processes we are talking about (wiring and riveting) aren't done commercially any more but are more in the relm of hobbiests.
Isn't part of the challenge and (fun?) of finding and identifying old tools trying to sort out the wood from the trees!
Graeme
corrected a statement (the Stanley Atha paneing hammer does have a flat back)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:32:35 PM by anglesmith »

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
Keykeeper.
The cat.. page is certainly not very clear, but I think you'll find that normaly the riveting hammers had a 1/16-3/32 radius and the setting/paneing hammer was a sharp angle.

This is my experience, too.  I have quite a few riveting hammers (and seen more) and every one has a radiused pein.  Sharp will cut the rivet, and what you need is to spread the metal of the rivet.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
I know a little about peening, but why would all the catalogs I've read had the same moniker? Is it possible they came like that to be dressed as the tinner felt once he had it in hand. The way the sharp end angles almost looks to be uneven, suggesting a final stage in the forging of the head under a drop hammer.
-Aaron C.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:35 PM »
 Don't claim to know hammers but will pass on what A. Sellens says in his Dictionary of American Hand Tools. His picture on page 218 looks identical to your hammer. He lists it thus; Hammer ,Roofing;Also called Setting Hammer;Tinners roofing Hammer;Tinners Set Hammer;and Tinners Setting Hammer."  A Hammer used to turn and close a lock when installing metal roofing. Also used to peen and close double seams and wire rims on metal ware."
 Looks like you are correctly identifying it.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Mac53

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
Thank you all very much! I'd have never come to that conclusion on my own.
-Marcus-