Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 103289 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #255 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
I think I've either found the model in the 1960 catalog, or I'm getting real close

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #256 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
 Are you able to elaborate on "three wheeled" bandsaw?  I'm not familiar with the term and don't want to assume only what it suggest. 

Check out the Vintage Machinery site here http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13616  Hopefully this link worked to get you right to a model 103.24300 saw like yours.  Most bandsaws have two wheels that the blade runs on but this Craftsman benchtop model has three wheels.  You should be able to find more info on them at this site.
The hames you have are were the tug chains are hooked to, the tug chains, one on each side of the horse go back and connect to each end of a single tree behind the horse. Or the staves on a buggy could be fastened to the hames somehow.  I've worked with a mule some (in a younger and more foolish day).  I had it harnessed to a sled that I built and I hauled cedar fence posts out of a creek bed in the mountians behind or place back in Washington.

Hope this helps
Pat
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 15, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
.....Hope this helps

Yes, Sir.  Extremely helpful and much appreciated.  My first (but not last) visit to that website.  That was a FINE job of restoring the saw.

Thanks for talking me through the hame setup.  I would have enjoyed being part of your work to move those cedar around the property - it would be a great learning experience for me - exactly what I need.  I'm often ashamed of my lack of knowledge of old farm equipment - particularly given my family's history and where I live (and therefore my finds).

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 15, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
Think about the arsenal of tools used in making this thing by hand.  This thing?  It is a working miniature replica of a oil well complete with derrick and pulling machine.  My grandfather made this by hand, and used a can opener motor to make it go up and down.  I remember well (pun intended) it being in his house when I was a child.  I was so pleased to find this yesterday in storage and be able to bring it home.  It is in bad condition with the pieces staged for the photo, but will be a priority for me to restore.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #259 on: July 15, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
A worthy project to complete!
Take your time and do it right!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
I can just see him at the work bench of a winter day, big bronze soldering iron in hand making the derrick.   That it survived is amazing, considering the time, and the people that have been in and out around there.   The toy truck he used, is an AC Mack!   probably just a ten cent toy when he made this, but wouldn't mind having one at all.  Plus on the base, the engine he mocked up to provide power, is an early T head 4 cylinder, not sure I've ever seen a model of one, or one in a model.  This was sort of like waiting for you all these years wasn't it? 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #261 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
Of all the stuff, your Grandpa's oil derrick is by far the neatest!!

great find!!

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
Any thoughts on this?  No markings, and smells "homemade" to me (but very well done if it is).  I have no idea on it's intended use.  Would you call this a vise, clamp, or arbor?

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Might be missing a foot or maybe there are several interchangable
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »

Press, definitly, probably the leadscrew from an old vise. Pipe cap filled with grease would make a usable foot, handles are too short, but otherwise, very well made....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
Oily, What is the little AC Mack made of? If it is plastic, the motor on the rig is the Mack engine. Monogram Models made them in the 70's and 80's. That model is REALLY cool!
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
The press is cool, but  the oil rig!   They were all over the place when I was growing up in Bakersfield.  There were acres of them, and acres of old wooden derricks with their shacks right next.  Man, does that bring back memories!! 

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Press, definitly, probably the leadscrew from an old vise. Pipe cap filled with grease would make a usable foot, handles are too short, but otherwise, very well made....

Thank you, Sir!  The grease simply for the suction?

Oily, What is the little AC Mack made of? If it is plastic, the motor on the rig is the Mack engine. Monogram Models made them in the 70's and 80's. That model is REALLY cool!

Plastic.  I think you've forgotten more about Mack's than I know.  FYI - I found the "dog" on the truck at the shop.  Someone had moved him to the mirror.  GOLD.

The press is cool, but  the oil rig!   They were all over the place when I was growing up in Bakersfield.  There were acres of them, and acres of old wooden derricks with their shacks right next.  Man, does that bring back memories!! 

I grew up the same - wells, wells, and more wells.  Nearly each of them had either a wooden derrick or one of steel.  I can only find two in the county now.  One of those is at a museum.  I do still know my way into the very back woods, where there are plenty of oil production artifacts to be found.....but rising scrap prices took care of derricks.  You can still sit on my porch at night and hear the sound of the natural gas fired engines.  I have a 3rd cousin that seems to be in the business of bringing them back online....whatever that's about.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
Oily. Your vise, clamp, arbor press ? Could this be a chain breaker? There are tools out there for breaking roller chain and other heavy industrial chains that very similar to this.

Offline Papa Tango

« Reply #269 on: September 28, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
That derrick model is about the coolest thing I've seen in some time.  What a wonderful keepsake and well worth restoring.  I'd love to see an "after" picture when you complete the restoration (and I hope you do).