Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 99681 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
Day 10 - As the day ended and I started my usual picture taking round my camera abruptly stated "Battery Exhausted"....so only a couple of pictures today.  I can summarize the day with a simple "my 20' trailer can now sleep inside the locked shop at night with goodies that are coming home with me someday soon".  I have some sense of accomplishment that I'm able to get it inside, and that I no longer need it for bulk 6-8k lb. scrap loads.  Coming home are:

The drill press - Craftsman Commercial - unknown year/model  There is a smaller drill press in the shop already, and I want to bring the big drill press back into the shop that was there when I was a child (a flat belt driven press from the 20s).  I'm told the old press is on the property somewhere.  I'm not sure where the switch-a-roo came from with the drill presses - but apparently somebody had some issue with the big one and threw it out the door for a Craftsman (it works right now) model.  I need a larger drill press at home and the Craftsman is a good size  It has had the shivs removed (although I found the originals) and some replacement shivs sitting on top of it (not installed).  So I need to try to understand what the issue was with the original shivs and setup.  I hate to change them to another size as there are clear RPM guidelines stamped on the side for the various shiv arrangements.

The Miller welding machine - There are three 220v welding machines in the shop; the Miller and two Lincolns.  I've decided to take the Miller home because....well, frankly I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Miller spending nearly a grand.....so it's a great deal for me - except - I'm told the last known information was that the rectifier didn't work.  At least one cable is missing.  My plan is to take it to the local welding supply place and see if they can diagnose/service the thing.  I have no idea what kind of money I might need to sink into it.  I"m hoping they can give me an estimate for a nominal fee.  Decision from there.  I ashamed to say I just don't know my welding machines that well.  I'm guessing there is no "exciting" a 220v as you would with a generator version - but I don't know.

The air compressor - It's an IR and it was installed on top of that custom build truck bed (previously pictured) on top of the late 70s Ford 1 ton.  Somebody has made there way to remove the 9hp gasoline briggs (I found it in the corner of the shop).  I suppose the plan was to install an electric motor as there is one there that makes sense with mounting plate and HP.  I want the gasoline engine back on it - with hopes of someday having it on that bed again with the old Lincoln welder beside it, and bottles for the torch, with THE BED ON THE TRUCK.....as it should be dang-it.  Why somebody raped the truck by taking the bed off - stripping the equipment - tearing it apart - throw it in the mud - let the tool trays sit with a $1200 socket set bathed in water and rust.......it would be very easy to get frustrated with this nonsense if I had "skin in the game".  I'm certain my Papaw has been rolling in his grave.

The Craftsman Commercial metal bandsaw.  The bottom line is nobody in the family wants the thing and my uncle is being insistent on it being out of the shop.....so it comes home with me.  It's a nice and heavy old belt driven bandsaw on a homemade angle iron stand.  I'm told the belt likes to jump.  I'm guessing I can fix that issue pretty easily.

A small tubby of vinegar might save a lot of wire brushing, especially with the sockets. Just don't forget to take them out after a few days. About six months ago, someone posted a glass bread pan that was forgotten for weeks with a tool in it. It looked like one of those science experiments that are sometimes found in the back of the refrigerator.

I've been putting off "going to town" for several days now knowing I need large quantity of vinegar.  I just love living in the country where I need to make a special $25 in gasoline trip for $8 in vinegar.

I'm enjoying the progress reports and looks like you are making good progress.

Thanks, Fins/413.  It takes a good bit of effort to photograph and document daily (when I'm already exhausted) and it's nice to hear you're enjoying it.....makes it all worth while.

I love the pictures as well. Its very nice to see them, thanks for sharing.

The drill press seams to be a good one.

Three welders dang, ime jelous. Never used a lincon only millers an a esab along with one hobart. All we have at work is Miller.

Thats just crazy, throwing fine tools out in the mud. How dare someone do such a thing!

The older bandsaws are great, ive used new and old. I prefer the old ones.

I think I would rather live in the country an drive for the vinigar then live in the suburbs an have to deal with everyone so close.

With all that said I love your project, thanks for keeping us updated.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
I've been reading your progress reports. It's a lot of fun keep em' coming! 
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
Day 11 - I started the day with a trip to town for some supplies so I could start on the tool cleaning process.  I bought all 8 gallons of vinegar in this town - lol.  I started my work at the shop with getting a tub together and piling a bunch of sockets and wrenches inside and filling with vinegar.  The idea of having tools come off anytime soon had me nervous about the parts washing vat outside, so I decided to try and get it going.  I spent a lot of time cleaning on it.  I now have a nice clean parts vat with a burner underneath that I cleaned the jets on.  I need to take a bottle of propane over tomorrow as there is no gas service there currently.  We'll see if it works but not to many burners I've not been able to get going again.

I decided today it was time to start tearing out the interior wall structure in the corner where the "tool room" was.  I was able to get the shelving off the walls, and the metal torn down off the walls.  That effort quickly turned my afternoon into moving another dozen wheel barrow loads of pipe fittings that were laying on the floor in that room.  I did unearth a drill bit still attached to a short piece of 8" drill stem, another nice looking homemade wrench, what looks to be a hand cultivator?, and several other "goodies" along the way (see pics). 

I got the binders and chains and hooks and such up off the floor and got them hanging out of the way for now.  It was interesting to see the binders one by one rather than in a huge pile.  I would say 50% + were Lebus - other's Stacy, Durbin?, and McK?????.  They all need the same cleaning as above.

I had the trailer inside because of the rain today and had walked up on it to load something.  While I was on the trailer I noticed - why, it sure is close to the loft area - I wonder what I will see.  That peak turned into dragging the ladder down and making a climb.  That climb was very rewarding with a McCullough chain saw, McCullough auger, gas fired heater NOS, a couple of tool boxes stashed, those hand made hoop nets I've been wondering about, and an old two man saw I'd seen from below.

Pictures taken today may be found via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday11
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
Those giant pipe wrenches are something, and here I felt good about having one old 36inch iron pipe wrench.  Want to comment on the pics, the McCulloch chain saw, have one just like it, or next model.  No plastic on that one, one of the stronger saws I ever took to the timber.  Photo #37 that pile of iron tires from wood wheels, they are just that, Iron, not steel, and iron is beautiful to blacksmith with.  38, looks like a Hit-n-miss gas engine?  43 is an antique tire spreader for tire repair I do believe.  53, with the ring and pinion sets is a clutch setup for a stationary engine, and the box looks like it may be the transfer case from an early army Deuce ana half, with two outputs with brake drums?   54, the Buda engine is concealing part of the frame of a large hand crank drill press, laying behind it.   I don't know about you but my head would be swimming finding all these goodies.  Congratulations on the energy to have done so much so quickly. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
 Found a similar Crane fitting with swastika on site with photos. He was guessing 1920's vintage.
Time to get those hoop nets in the water. I too am enjoying your photo trip. I'm thinking of warning vinegar producers to consider a second shift, or maybe I'll buy some stock in a vinegar producing corp.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
Those giant pipe wrenches are something, and here I felt good about having one old 36inch iron pipe wrench.  Want to comment on the pics, the McCulloch chain saw, have one just like it, or next model.  No plastic on that one, one of the stronger saws I ever took to the timber.  Photo #37 that pile of iron tires from wood wheels, they are just that, Iron, not steel, and iron is beautiful to blacksmith with.  38, looks like a Hit-n-miss gas engine?  43 is an antique tire spreader for tire repair I do believe.  53, with the ring and pinion sets is a clutch setup for a stationary engine, and the box looks like it may be the transfer case from an early army Deuce ana half, with two outputs with brake drums?   54, the Buda engine is concealing part of the frame of a large hand crank drill press, laying behind it.   I don't know about you but my head would be swimming finding all these goodies.  Congratulations on the energy to have done so much so quickly. 

My dad apparently knew how good that McCullough is because he had, and still has, one just like it.  I grew up using it......a heck of a beast to ever get started but runs and cuts like no other once going.  I'm hoping I can talk my way out of this one to take home.  Picture 43 a tire spreader - I would have guessed something along the lines of pipe threading. 

O my I believe you've spotted the old drill press I've been wanting to find.  I didn't see it until now and NOW I"m super excited to get back over there tomorrow and check it out.

YES - very dizzy - this is nearly 3 weeks of head spinning over "things" all around.  A lot of things I was near and dear to as a child - and many things I just didn't get exposed to and don't have a clue on.  Sadly the problem is that there are not facilities to properly store it all.

Thanks for all the help, John.  I'll take all the comments I can get.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
Found a similar Crane fitting with swastika on site with photos. He was guessing 1920's vintage.
Time to get those hoop nets in the water. I too am enjoying your photo trip. I'm thinking of warning vinegar producers to consider a second shift, or maybe I'll buy some stock in a vinegar producing corp.

Talk about memories - Let me get my dad and my uncle back to the river with those hoop nets and we'll have a blast (and do a lot  of work).  My uncle still has my g'pas old camp on a bluff at the river though it's not the same it doesn't seem..............but I would love to see hundreds of pounds of Buffalo come out of that river again.

Thanks for the note on the fitting.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
Day 12 - Those "cull" wrenches had been sitting in vinegar since Friday so I decided to start the day with checking on them.  The first thing I noticed was this huge head of foam on the vinegar bath.  I thought that was strange and didn't understand it but moved on to getting them out.  I washed them down with a pressure washer and placed them into the parts cleaner outside.  Filled it with soapy water and started a fire letting bringing them to a boil and letting them stay there for about 20 minutes.  I removed them from the hot water and rinsed them through a vat of NOS motor oil that was found laying all around the shop.  It's not the ideal solution but it was there in bulk, it was free, and it worked well to stop flash rusting.  I think having a basket to lower the wrenches into oil, let them soak, and then lifting them suspended to drain was key to 10w working well.  What I found in the end was a large percentage of those wrenches hand stamped "macmillan", as in Macmillan Oil company.  Back in their day they had a small refinery nearby that has since been torn down for scrap.  My uncle worked there (60s?) and bought a wrench lot at auction.  They are a mix of large and early Williams, Herbrand, and Fairbanks wrenches.

The tool room is now clear and clean and awaiting a cutting torch to remove the angle iron bracing that was used for the wall.  That area being as close to a door as it is had me with a water hose in my hand washing down.  I was also able to get the workbench between the bay doors cleaned and washed down also.  That put me EOD with about 25% of the shop being washed down.......and a light in sight for at least half being washed down by EOD tomorrow.  I'm starting to feel like real progress is being made and not just wasted days stumbling over things and shuffling them around.

I did paint the come-along set I picked out for myself and de-rusted.  I'm excited to put new cable on it tomorrow and finally have a nice set of cast 2 ton pullers.  I also received my TWENTY-FIVE hickory hammer handles in the mail today.  In my spare time I want to put a few hammers back together.

No pictures today as I was trying to outrun the weather getting home.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
Sounds like all is going well.

How big is your parts washing tank, ime curious? Is it that big tank we saw out back?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
Day 13 - My plans to have 50% of the floor space washed down were washed down all right (the toilet).  The rains yesterday again flooded the front area so I decided I would spend time trying to grade that area so it would drain better.  I did spend a couple hours working on it before it again came an afternoon flood.  The good news is that I believe the 4" of cow manure on top of the drive have been removed.  The bad news is that I still have a pond to deal with when it rains.  This afternoon's rain gave me a much better idea of where the issues remain

Inside the shop I was able to gain a couple hours of my uncle's attention.  This is the first I've seen of him in a couple of weeks, and the first he's seen of the progress and a large majority of findings.  We were able to get through the "unknown" tote with only ONE unknown remaining.  I had no idea that he, like my dad, has some much working knowledge handed down from his father.

We were also able to play "keep here, keep out, or junk" with the bench area I had lined with things were I didn't feel good making a decision alone.

All and all it was just another day of progress I struggle to measure as I write.  Pictures taken today may be found via the following link.  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday13

How big is your parts washing tank, ime curious? Is it that big tank we saw out back?

30" x 30" x30" - It's the smaller of the two and the one that had been used for years.  It currently resides between the bay doors on the front slab in the basin area (that doesn't drain).

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Day 14 - I took the day today and walked around making it a point to look for "hand tools" that were outside the shop but that belong inside.  I walked from old work truck to old winch truck to tractor boxes and school buses.  I found nearly a long wheel base truck load of tools that I hauled back to the shop.  I was pleased to find two 48", two 36", and three 24" ridgid pipe wrenches.  I ran across the ford 3600 trencher - That tractor was practically new when things shut down and it was nice to see that.  Found a pretty beat up Wilton mounted on a truck bed, an old Fairbanks Morse rod pump, lots of specialty wrenches 2" and larger (including a 3" lufkin wrench), a Fordson adjustable in the dirt, Sears/Roebuck water well head?, a small strangely made machinist vise?, a snap-on 1/2" ratty, OTC and Proto pebble pullers, Ridgid pipe vise, and on and on and on - like I said a truck load of tools to pile into the shop and sort through.

Pictures taken today may be viewed via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday14

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
Oily, if you clean and hang them all, you can probably make the Guiness Book with your pipe wrench collection.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:36 AM »
Oily, if you clean and hang them all, you can probably make the Guiness Book with your pipe wrench collection.

lol - Yesterday I counted a total of seven 48" Ridgid pipe wrenches now hanging on the wall.  I'm still trying to figure out if I'd ever use ONE.  I'd really rather not pick the heavy things up.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Wow It must have been a busy business to have all that stuff. Some of those plants outside looked like poison ivy, roundup time
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
Yesterday I counted a total of 22 grease guns found in the shop.  Here is a Lincoln "Lubrigun" found and freshened up to be a keepsake.

Wow It must have been a busy business to have all that stuff. Some of those plants outside looked like poison ivy, roundup time

I don't guess Poison Ivy or Poison Oak have ever bothered me at all (knocking on wood).  I've been told if you never smell the burning of them that you'll not be allergic (my mamaw said that).