Author Topic: Honesty is the Best Policy  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Honesty is the Best Policy
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »
Is he a collector as well as an auctioneer? Watch his sales closely. I know you have a picture of that wrench but it would be hard to prove he has yours.
I agree that you should confront him before accusing him publicly.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Asking "if he ,while looking through the wrenches , might have set it down somewhere other than where it belonged and I missed it."  Is a generous way to deal with the situation.   A wise way, too.

Offline rusty

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

Yes, some tact is required in the absence of proof....

But..temptation is a funny thing..

Sad, the last thing the world needs is another crooked dealer...

Hidden video makes everyone honest.....P

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
That really sucks. I know its not right and could of been him, but any solid proof that he cant deniy? You dont want him telling others oh no never seen one making you look bad.

Either way its a situation thats no good to be in.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »
I agree that honesty is the best policy BUT trustworthy can be your downfall
about three weeks a fellow came to my house wanting to by early wrenches . I showed him the boxes and gave him the text that went with each box  . He admired one wrench in particular a athol 5 in. adjustable. he decided he would talk it over with his partner on purchasing a lot of wrenches . When he left I put the boxes back on the shelf. Yesterday I decided to take pictures of each boxes contents Box no. 4 was short one wrench a athol  5 in. adj..Now I have no proof of where it went but I do have an idea .He is an owner of a local auction house that I have not dealt with He is just starting out and does not need too much bad publicity or casual talk mentioning the word thief so I am going to confront him and ask if he ,while looking through the wrenches , might have set it down somewhere other than where it belonged and I missed it.Any suggestions would be appreciated .
a chain on each wrench is not conceivable
bob w.
I approached Mr. auction person and he said he put the wrench back in the box and i put it on the shelf. I told him that I was using his name as a verification as to when I last saw it was the day he was there also proof that I had it . I hoped that he did not mind.. I ALSO SAID THAT IT WAS MARKED ON THE INSIDE WITH MY INITIAL SO I WILL KNOW IT WHEN I SEE IT      bob w
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART