Author Topic: Today's Find  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Today's Find
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Today, I picked up this 12-inch metal-handled monkey wrench made by Moore Drop Forging of Springfield, Mass.   I have only been collecting wrenches a short time and had not seen one of these before.  This wrench dates back to at least 1914, the date of an advertisement for it which I found this evening.  Can anyone add to that?

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Today's Find
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Hey I am grateful to see that name!
 I have one just like it, only 6" long. Mine is not marked or rather, it was weakly struck, and it's gone.
 yours Scott

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »
mr. wrenchmensh, I do not know how far you are from me but if you make the trip i have numerous 6 in and over adj. wrenches that need to go so i can have room for my 4 and under club .the club is growing at about 2 members a week and thier clubhouse is not getting bigger   LOL bob w,
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
BobW

Driving somewhere to pick up a good wrench is what we wrench collectors do well (most of the time).  Yesterday, we drove two hours to get to Allentown (my wife's choice), and on the way back, we met a fellow in a Redner's Grocery Store parking lot in Pottstown, and I bought the Moore wrench from him. We then drove for an hour to get back home. I live in the extreme southeastern corner of PA, within walking distance of Maryland and Delaware. I used to travel up the NYS Thruway, through the Shawangunks and past the Catskills, to Schenectady, so I know the distance to your house is probably the better part of 4 hours driving. It would be fun to visit, and see your 4-inchers, and talk about your disposable wrenches (if they are really disposable). We could PM details.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
you know the way. When You get on rt 17 west exit 112 then straight up   LOL the big wrenches are for sale along with several big forging tools, tongs nippers and such.pliers ( i COULD FILL YOUR PICK -UP FAIRLY REASONABLY. also hand drills and braces    oh oh braces just reminded me I was supposed to send someone pics and prices   bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
I have numerous 6 in and over adj. wrenches that need to go so i can have room for my 4 and under club .the club is growing at about 2 members a week and thier clubhouse is not getting bigger   LOL bob w,

Bob, when your standard is four inches, anything is bigger.  But tongs?  Got pictures?

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:50 PM »
Bob:

What I do when I get a new wrench is take down less desirable wrenches and put 'em in the Rubbermaid tub for melting down at the chipping facility at the foot of the Schuylkill Expressway.  That way, I always have room!

Bob