Author Topic: Hercules Gasoline Engine  (Read 3235 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Hercules Gasoline Engine
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
I have a gasoline Hercules engine purchased (at scrap price to save it) about a year ago.  My intention was to get the engine running and use it, in it's current larger setup, to assist in a small water well rig.  Long story short, that project has been trashed.

The engine served its life in an oil refinery as a reserve engine.  You can turn the engine over by hand with the hand crank.  I had to repair water lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, rebuild carb, blah blah blah....so I've done a good bit of work on it.  I "threw my hands up" with it over magneto problems (I have no experience here and can't find parts) and with the cost of a new radiator required. It's simply not cost practical for what I'm trying to do.

I now have this beast of a Hercules engine that I'd like to find a good home for.  Please don't respond to suggest that I scrap it.  I'm not interested in financial gain but rather with finding it a home where it would be appreciated - not scrapped and hopefully not sitting in the weather as it is now.

PM me if you have interest or if you know of any group that may.  Thanks!

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Re: Hercules Gasoline Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
Oily,
What is the model of the Herc.  I am in the American Truck Historical Society and there are always Diamond T owners looking for  solid engine. Maybe I can find it a home.
JIS
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
Is it a vehicle engine, or one of the hit and miss types?

Either way, there are many out there that would take that engine off your hands. You might try www.smokstak.com and the forum there.

I enjoy the older, smaller engines myself. Fun to work on, and fun to run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnWCl_MYT1k&feature=plcp&context=C34c7f73UDOEgsToPDskKxVBY-P0P4D2obctnuhZcs
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »

Mention it on the jeep forum, the Herc's were used in a lot of military stuff also, depending on model etc.....

Don't scrap it, I scrapped a chry slant 6 once because nobody wanted it, a week later some fellow offered me $500 for it, yeash .P

You need to find the right fellow tho...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
Chrysler slant six engines are one of my favorites. I have had about six cars with those engines. They will run forever if you keep oil in them.

EvilDr235

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
They will run forever if you keep oil in them.
Aww, all you need is a 5 gallon oil drum with a constant feed line!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Chrysler slant six engines are one of my favorites. I have had about six cars with those engines. They will run forever if you keep oil in them.

EvilDr235

I had a particularly ugly '66 Dodge pickup with a slant six quite a few years ago.  It got me and a bunch of my friends moved again and again, and got me to work, and took me to the mountains for deer hunting many, many times.  I finally sold it to a friend, I forget why.  He used it for another 25 years, and it took him from California to Arkansas every year.  Once I found it was only running on five cylinders -- don't know how long that went on.  Seemed to run just as well.  About two years ago, it went to the great junk yard in the sky after about 50 years of hard service.   No idea how many hundreds of thousands of miles it had on it.  But it never let me, or my friend down at the side of the road somewhere.    Never had much trouble keeping oil in it.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:49 AM »
The Hercules engine has found a good home where it will have the magneto and radiator replaced and be placed in service as a pump driver.

Now - to find a home for a double deutz concrete pumper - surely everybody needs one of those :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717