Blacksmith and Metal Working Forum > Blacksmith and Metalworking Forum

Fresh out of the garden

(1/24) > >>

OilyRascal:
I thought I'd share today's find while working in the garden.  The number of things I've unearthed is almost comical at this point.

I've made no attempt at cleaning it up or ID'ing it.  I, admittedly, don't know my hammers well enough to look at an ole rusty glob and ID it.  I'll have to research.

john k:
Walk that sledge hammer head right over to the power wire brush, looks pretty solid yet, 3-4lb. ?   I'd be delighted to dig something like that out of my garden, all I find are rusty nails, and bits of old broken Mason jars. 

rusty:

Likely some poor farmer was hammering in a fence post and it flew off the handle and vanished in the tall grass, leading to an hour of swearing and cussing ;P

Dunno if you can id it, everyone with a foundry made those, but it's hard to wear one out, add a handle and you are good to go :)

All I ever found in the garden was rocks, lots and lots of rocks...

OilyRascal:

--- Quote from: rusty on March 02, 2012, 09:52:35 AM ---Likely some poor farmer was hammering in a fence post and it flew off the handle
--- End quote ---

More likely where a barn or storage building was at some point.  This isn't the first tool I've found.

--- Quote from: rusty on March 02, 2012, 09:52:35 AM ---Dunno if you can id it
--- End quote ---

Appears to be a 5lb with an A inside a horseshoe, unlike the Diamond Horseshoe logo (no diamond across horseshoe)

OilyRascal:
A couple more hammers I've found in the same area.  Charles E. Hall and Vlchek?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version