Author Topic: display board  (Read 2612 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
display board
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:31 AM »
I am considering putting up a book type display board with four pages.Someone on tool talk has one.
I could sure use some information before I start building.I would like to use both sides of the page( like a hollow door using peg board on the outside)
   Is a 1/2 in black iron pipe strong enough to hold four pages ? Will i have to put support cables on each page?
  What type of hardware do I use as hinges( for a better word) ?
  If i drill holes and use cotter pins to space the hinges will it weaken the pipe?
  Do I use some sort of latch to hold the case closed?
  How do I support the hinges on each door ( Will the door frame support the hinge or will I have to strengthen each door. I am considering using five quarter stock for the door frames
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Branson

Re: display board
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »
They used to make a display rack like this.  We had one for frames and prints at my grandfather's store.  There was a bracket attached to the wall at the top and the bottom that received the pipes that were at the back end of the "pages."  These made for the hinging.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
I built some with 1x2s and pegboard, with cheap hinges and a flat bar for a stay at the top, so they sit on the floor in a "V" shape. They stand up nicely. I don't see why you couldn't put the peg board on the outside of the panels so you can put tools on both sides.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
If I had the space, I would build a 'book' display like a paneling display at the lumber yard. A heavy bracket screwed to a structural part of the building with a vertical pin to mount a stack of bearings, one  for each page. The 'hinge' on the page would connect to each bearing.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
They used to make a display rack like this.  We had one for frames and prints at my grandfather's store.  There was a bracket attached to the wall at the top and the bottom that received the pipes that were at the back end of the "pages."  These made for the hinging.
A 2x6 againist the wall and a 2x4 mounted on that .hinge the first and last page to the 2x6 and the second and third to the 2x4 that way the pages would lay flat againist the wall and the second and third would lay flat againist first and last and both could open at a 90 degree from the wall. but they could not close like a book . the only way that could happen is with a circular hinge on each page. I hope this makes sence what I just said.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART