Author Topic: Ergonomic \ Hofi Hammers  (Read 13961 times)

Offline Mac53

Ergonomic \ Hofi Hammers
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
Does anyone use \ has anyone used an "ergonomic" \ Hofi patterned hammer? They all look beautiful, but I haven't even run across one in person.

Trying to justify (or not) spending the $108 for a Pieh tool ergonomic diagonal-pein.
-Marcus-

Offline keykeeper

Re: Ergonomic \ Hofi Hammers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
I have a similar hammer, but use it like any other hammer for forging.

I had a chance to buy an authentic Hofi Hammer a couple years ago direct from Hofi, but couldn't see the outlay of $135 for one. My understanding is that they are very efficient forging tools if used with the Hofi method to move metal. I have friends that have them, and some have met Uri Hofi also, but I don't know if they use his method when forging.

You can find out more about them on iforgeiron.com A lot of the guys over there have them, and Hofi is a member there as well.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
The Hofi style hammer with it's highly crown faces and rounded corners is not designed for traditional forging (whether decorative or toolmaking/engineering) but for free form contemperory iron work. In this style of forging it works well.
But when it comes to general anvil forging where you are altenating between moving metal and striking tools (chisels punches etc) the traditional forging hammer works better.  The balanced hammer has always been there (cats head or shoe turning hammer) along side the "off balance" long drop traditional  forging hammer ( the Japanese cutlers hammer being an extreme example).
Now  when it comes to the Hofi ergonomic method of using the hammer I have little knowledge and no experience, so I can't really comment, but to me it seems to be complicated and I think it would be as hard to master as suddenly having to swap hands and forge compently.It could be done, but it would take a lot of practice and persistance!
Graeme

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »
I watched the short u-tube bit on the Hofi, and, well, I can't say it made me want to buy  a Hofi hammer.  I don't really see any particular advantage.  Use the edge of the face for fullering?  Why?  You get the same, maybe better advantage by using a straight pein.  Handle too long?  Grip it closer or cut it down.   The height of the anvil Hofi was using made me cringe a bit -- just about even with his elbow.   I keep mine at about the level of my wrist.

The design of hammers I use (traditional) was hundreds of years in the making, and the result of hundreds of years of experience.   I think there's a reason why the standard cross pein you can buy at Ace Hardware looks just like the cross peins in common use 200 years ago.   

Offline Mac53

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
Thank you all very much for your responses. I think I'll stick with something more traditional. Any brands you all would recommend? I'd still like to get a new hammer (who doesnt need a new hammer?).
-Marcus-

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Any brands you all would recommend?
For the most part they are all good as long as they aren't made in Taiwan or China. 
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
Have a look at the Big blue hammer site. When I bought my "Hofi" from them in Seatle in 06 they were making them under licence to Hofi,I don't think that is the case now.  BTW the price is still the same today as I paid then, a lot of money then as now, but in general terms you get what you pay for. I personally rationalised that it wasn't much as compared to what it cost me to get  across the Pacific and back! I too am one that would rather have some thing thats made in USA than in China. Another maker of top quality hand made hammers is Brent Bailey, check out his site. No connection to either maker other than I've met them both.
Graeme

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
If you want to get a nice hammer that is well made and completely hand forged, check out these http://www.oldworldanvils.com/hammers/index.html

I watched this man making these at Quad-State Roundup in 2008, and picked up and fondled many of the different styles as well. They are all well made, and have a nice balance to them. I know the price is somewhat high, but compared to a Hofi or Bailey made one, they aren't too bad.

I plan on purchasing a couple in the future, when my finances open up a little more (and the wife isn't looking!!).
-Aaron C.

Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Thank you guys again. I didn't realize big blue made hammers (small ones, that is..), they look quite nice too!

Keykeeper, those seem to be very good prices compared to everyone else and they look nice too, I think I may go with one of those... Do you know if they offer handle options? I like a very short handle, but I hate to cut a brand new one (it hurts me to take a saw to any new tool)
-Marcus-

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
I'm not sure if they have handle options, Mac53. They are very nice hammers, and when he was making them up at that conference, it was pure artistry in action. He had every step down pat, and was turning out hammers in short order. He was using a KA75 striking hammer (if you haven't seen one of those in action, do a net search for the site, they are the coolest tool) to do the heavy work, and other than having to wait on the gas forge to heat the metal, he was very efficient in the process.

I believe he could make anything you would want, from a sharp peen to a more relaxed peen like a Hofi style has. Those diagonal hammers are really cool to use, as well, as they place the peen right on the work without having to turn your body to get the peen to line up.

I will, at the very least, have one of the cross peen hammers they make in my tool setup, sometime in the future!!!
-Aaron C.

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
Any brands you all would recommend?
For the most part they are all good as long as they aren't made in Taiwan or China.

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
If you want to get a nice hammer that is well made and completely hand forged, check out these http://www.oldworldanvils.com/hammers/index.html

I think I just saw one of his rounding hammers on eBay this morning.  You might want to check it out. 

I agree with longstep, for the most part they're all good.  There's not a lot more you can do with the
traditional cross pein.  That pattern has been around for at least 200 years, hanging in the hands of
men who depended on it to make their living and support their families.

That said, I like Peddinghaus hammers, but I'm careful to not use them for striking chisels and punches
because the faces are a bit softer (not a bad thing here).  I've bought all but one of my hammers used.
With used ones, you can usually see whether they have defects in construction.  Several of mine are
blacksmith made. 

Dependable brands I can think of of the top of my head are:
Heller
Atha, Atha/Stanley, and Stanley
Champion
Stiletto (always good material and great balance)
Warwood has been in business since 1857, and while you don't hear much about this maker, Warwood
has been supplying the government and railroads almost from the beginning.  A brand new cross pein
two pounder runs $25.  Almost nobody thinks of Warwood, so it doesn't command "collectable" prices.
If you find a Jay Sharp, just buy it.  Especially if you find one for under $200.
Channel lock made some, and I'm fond of my example.
Super Duty is essentially a Heller.  Very good hammers.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
Gang,

This is a bit of a stretch on ergonomic hammers, but AMPCO claims their handle is ergonomic because the holes allow you to grip the handle lightly while using the hammer.  I own this hammer/handle and have to admit it is way more comfortable than it looks... and it never wants to go flying out of your hand either.  I was very sceptical about this handle when I bought the hammer, but it has grown on me with use.

A couple of pics for your entertainment:

The ergo handle--

The ball peen head attached to it--

Is it ergo or is it ain't?  Food for thought...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:27:52 PM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
Gang,

This is a bit of a stretch on ergonomic hammers, but AMPCO claims their handle is ergonomic because the holes allow you to grip the handle lightly while using the hammer.  I own this hammer/handle and have to admit it is way more comfortable than it looks... and it never wants to go flying out of your hand either.  I was very sceptical about this handle when I bought the hammer, but it has grown on me with use.

There's another thread somewhere on Tool Talk about that hammer handle.  AKA vacuum grip handle.  There were adds for these in '31, and Hartford Bros made this kind back in Tennessee.  I have a 12 oz claw hammer with this handle, and while I was skeptical, too, it sure does sit comfortable in the hand.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:38:27 PM »
Branson,

The other thread was mine... same hammer.

Comfortable yes, functional yes, kinky yes, and legit yes.  But is it ergo?
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society