Author Topic: CLOSED - Craftsman 506-51800 Vise Baseplate - CLOSED  (Read 7329 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
CLOSED - Craftsman 506-51800 Vise Baseplate - CLOSED
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement baseplate for Craftsman 506-51800 vise?  It is the age old 3 1/2" vise.  I believe the baseplate part number is 51810-23.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:21:41 AM by OilyRascal »
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Craftsman 506-51800 Vise Baseplate
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:24 PM »
I suppose it may benefit me to also ask if anyone has experience with parts interchanging between the newer and older Craftsman vises; specifically with the baseplate.

She is a beauty in my eyes and I've been long wanting to get her fixed so I can play with her :)

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »

Dunno about interchange, the parts folks may be able to tell you. I'd look at the diagram on the web site again, -23 seems to be the leadscrew, which is not available, but, the base plate swivel is still available.....

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Vise-Parts/Model-50651800/0247/0752000/00023805/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=50651800
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »
I had spent over an hour this morning with Sears Parts on the phone...exhausting myself with them first.  They basically say "We don't carry it.  Good Luck with that".  I'm told none of the 3 swivel base plate parts are available from Sears for this model.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »

Ahh,well. It would be nice if they would update the web site.
Something like "Availability: Sorry, you're screwed"

I have a feeling the part you want is the part that always breaks, the rest of the vise looks reasonably rugged, but perhaps someone has one with a broken jaw or such.....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
I think I've decided I'll just fabricate a base for it.  The base isn't complicated at all, I'd just like to find the original measurements and mirror it as best I can.

So - now I'm on the hunt for somebody that has a 506-51800 vise that has a base they might be kind enough to measure for me.  I might even ship the new tape measure for the job.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
I have convinced myself, based on style and size, that Columbian (or whoever made Columbian) made this vise for Craftsman.  Is anybody able to confirm or shoot down that theory?

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:38 AM »
How wide is the rounded part that sits on the base plate? I may have a part or two laying around for one of these. I know I have one back in the shed, that the jaw cracked and broke on. May not be Craftsman, but may work nonetheless.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »
How wide is the rounded part that sits on the base plate? I may have a part or two laying around for one of these. I know I have one back in the shed, that the jaw cracked and broke on. May not be Craftsman, but may work nonetheless.

Hi Aaron.  That is a generous offer of you, and one I'll absolutely take you up on.  I wanted it as a small vise in my garage at home, so I don't care in the end how I get there so long as it functions.  It already has more style than the 90's model boxy craftsman I currently have. 

The vise I'm seeking to repair has a flat bottom base on it (with a 1/2" hole at center) that measures 4-9/32 across.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
Ok, I'll get out there and look. Most of the base plates have a slot that the square part of a carriage bolt rides in, to allow it to swivel 180 degrees and to lock it down with the lock down lever once it's where you want it. The bolt goes up into the threaded portion on the lock lever.
-Aaron C.

Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
Well Derek, you are in luck.

The base plate I have is square, with four mounting holes. The round area the vise rides on is right at 4"...... the distance from the slot that the locking lever rides in is right at 1.5 inches center to center. If that distance is close, the locking lever on the side will work. The center hole is 1/2"!!

Here's the kicker, I had a Littletown 140 sitting on it, and its' base measures right at 4-1/4"~4-5/16", so I think it would work for the vise you have. I used it for some time, until I got my big Columbian vise, so I know it will work if the other holes distances match.

My original plan for the Littletown was a solid mount, as I bought it without a base for that intended purpose. I'm gonna mount it on a solid base for travel with my blacksmith setup for small twisting/filing jobs.

The mounting plate/base mentioned above that I had under it was from an old Wilton or Columbian that was junked some time ago with a cracked/broken jaw.

If you want the mounting base, lockdown lever and bolt, and center bolt to hold the two parts together, just say the word. I still have to send the Thorsen's I have in reserve to you anyway (I've been waiting, carrying the list I printed in my wallet, hoping to find more for you, but I haven't run onto any in the last few weeks).

If your center hole and lock lever hole is right at 1-1/2" on center, then it'll work, I'm pretty sure.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:13:07 PM by keykeeper »
-Aaron C.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:09 AM »
If your center hole and lock lever hole is right at 1-1/2" on center, then it'll work, I'm pretty sure.

The center hole to lock lever hole distance is 1-1/2" center to center.  I believe this is going to work.  PM Inbound

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
CLOSED: Craftsman 506-51800 Vise Baseplate
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:06 AM »
I'm no longer in search of a base for the vise.  Mr. Keykeeper was kind enough to expedite re-purposing one of his vises as stationary, effectively freeing up a base he had that would work for us both, and sent it to me.  I find it analogous to me reaching for a handful of my working Craftsman wrenches and sending it to him while saying to myself "I have another in the truck somewhere".....very kind and a super fine, stand-up, member here IMO.

He can rest assured of 1st Choice from me on Vlchk for a while :)