Author Topic: $200 reward for i.d. of Pedal powered scroll saw. Brought up again.  (Read 16884 times)

Offline wrenchguy

• I like odd old stuff, especially mechanical.
    • Wrenchguys videos
If ok I'm offering a reward for this machines i.d. whether diy or shop made. Advertising it as DIY should be out there. 
thanks 4 any help.

This was originally posted jan/2012 and i thought it'd be ok to bring it up again with the new members having a crack at it.  thanks 4 looking and any comments.

I've posted this on couple sites with no luck with company of manufacture.  Finely made with doweled mortise and tenons, nice clean cast iron parts. A 26" diameter uniquely spoked flywheel that drives a punched leather flat belt with old white rubber pedals.  It appears tobe missing the seat framing/stand. The table is 50" off the floor.  I hoping someone may have hardware house catalog or woodworking magazine ad collection that might show it.  thanks for any help

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:30:48 AM by wrenchguy »

Offline Fins/413

Re: Anyone here seen one like this? Pedal powered scroll saw.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »
That is cool.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
I've never seen one like this but it's pretty cool and looks like it could be cleaned up and in working order with out to much fuss.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline ray

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
Just think you could have fun making something, and saving money by not needing to join a fitness center.

Ray

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:37:39 AM »
Just think you could have fun making something, and saving money by not needing to join a fitness center.

Ray

That's about the only sort of exercise that interests me.  And it doesn't require spandex!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
I think this is the best I've ever seen.
  I also think if you copied it and made 20 more just like it, set them up someplace, you could charge by the hour and become rich.
  People are morons to pay to waste their energy in gyms. 

Me, I expect something to show for my sweat!
  yours Scott

Offline Foresterthom

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Saw wood, pump iron. Nice.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »

After looking at quite a lot of pictures, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have even a vague guess who might have made it. The use of bicycle type pedals on that kind of a saw is almost unheard of in the US, all the major makers were using lever/crankshaft type foot power for scroll/fret saws. The rocker arm is also very odd, no one used a split design like that that i can find, generally that would be the first hint, as everyone had their idea of the way to make that easily failing part better than everyone else, but yours is different than anything I have seen so far......

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
This is the closest of anything I've seen to that saw.  This is treadle powered, to a cast iron flywheel then by leather belt to a cam operating the oscillating saw arms.  Very certain it is commercially made, but no name shows up in my pics.  Not mine, saw it at a flea.  I will mention that the white rubber pads on the pedals probably dates it pre-1910.  At least pre-1915.  A very interesting saw, all you need is a stool of the right heigth, get comfy and pedal. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »

This is the only vaguely similar pedal powered saw I found, but it's metal framed....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline wrenchguy

• I like odd old stuff, especially mechanical.
    • Wrenchguys videos
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
Thanks for your comments.  I'll post some more closeup photos if asked.  Did anyone catch the whittled twig oil cup plugs on the flywheel axle. There are some on the upper axle too.  It is in its original red paint.  I think the seat frame got taken off because of its size being attached to the saw, removed/separated, sold at sale/auction and lost forever.  I say this because the piece hanging down touching the flywheel shows no marks on it from flywheel rotation. Then never used since.  if i ever get to it i'm going to conserve what i got and display/use it.  u guys got any idea about the punched flat belt i'll need.  I agree about the white rubber pedals dating it.  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:41:47 AM by wrenchguy »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
Leather belting, well you can take the cheap route and find appropriate sized leather belts at a thrift, and punch holes where needed.  Sew the belts together, after you chamfer the ends of the belts.  Or you can find a harness maker, and have a belt made up, since harness/bridles have buckles he will have a good leather punch already.  I believe  you are right about the board hanging down, most likely was part of the seat assembly.  Somewhere I have pics of a whole set of the all cast iron pedal power tools. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
Here is an interesting site. Shows lots of Pedal Saws, but not this one.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/SawCollection/SawsFoot.html
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
Who knew there were so many?  Years ago, I bought a New Rogers at a flea market.  It had been motorized and the treadle and wheel are missing.  If I could ever find the missing parts I'd like to return it to its original configuration.  The site says 1860s; I had thought the New Rogers were decades later.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan