Author Topic: I Need Help with a display  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
I Need Help with a display
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I need advise with a display.  Some of you may remember when I posted my Cowan Railroad Display in the Cowan, TN Depot.  Well!!!! The Smithsonian has a traveling exhibit called 'The Way We Work'. The stops include Cowan, TN in March.  Our Depot is too small for the Exhibit, so we will be holding the exhibit in the Cowan Art Gallery. They will also critique our museum displays/ how we tell our story and help us tell it better. Tom Knowles, curator of Cowan Railroad Museum, asked me Wed, to spruce up my 'Railroad Tools Exhibit,' as he wanted it in with the Smithsonian exhibit.  WOW!!! Double WOW!!!!!  I'm blown away.  So I'll be bounc'ing ideas off ya'll.  Please ya'll I need your ideas.  This is the bomb.  The greatest thing with my tools ever.  Thanks in advance as I know ya'll are the best.
                                                                                                   Stoney

This is what it looks like now.  What I don't like is the 1/2 X 1 inch wire and the crowded look.  I have a friend that does large format printing.  He can print some of my old time railroad photos on a 40 inch by 90 inch (the dimensions of each wing) banner material for about $90.00 each ($90.00 X 4.)  I can cover the wire and mount the tools over the photos.  Now the wire is covered and by doubling the wings I can remove the crowded look.   I can show the track tools on one set of wings and the maintenance/operation tools on the other set of wings. Now by setting the wings back to back in an X shape, I will have a compact display.

The other plan is to weave 3/16 square rods on a 2 inch square pattern to form the mounting frame (times 4) with a wood surround and a burlap back cover.

What do ya'll think??????
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Re: I Need Help with a display
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
DO YOU HAVE ROOM FOR A FULL SHEET OF PLYWOOD? IF YOU DO THEN DRAW AN OUTLINE OF EACH TOOL ON PAPER THEN DO A GIGSAW PUZZLE YOU SHOULD END UP WITH 2  FOUR FOOT PANELS .HOW YOU FASTEN THEM IS YOUR JOB    LOL  JMHO  BOB W.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
One thought that I had is to build the four  4X8s out of carsiding or wainscotting and paint them boxcar red with the RR logo stenciled at the top. Arrange the tools on the boards as Bob suggested. Paint each tool silhouette (I had to look that one up Branson)  white or yellow and make it look as much as possible, like the tool boards in the engine shops. Mark each tool with a white stencil on a gloss black rectangle background like the dates and weights on a freight car. Frame each panel with rough, unpainted lumber, held together at the corners by heavy black angle plates (use 3/8" masonite painted flat black) with big bolts and square nuts to make it look like a railroad shop building. Maybe four panels of the BIG black and white photos and four panels of tools. Good luck! This is a great honor!
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
To help people interpret what the tools did and how, adding a small pic or drawing from a manual would get the idea across.   I really like johnsironsanctuary ideas.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
Things I detest in displays are pegboard and plywood along with displays that have descriptions and names obscuring the object. 

I take a lot of pictures when I go to a show, and if the show prohibits pictures I walk away.  Tags on and near objects ruin my day.  A small 1" high letter or number adjacent to each object and a framed legend makes a much nicer display.

Since your display isn't able to be shown in its actual working environment, some 8 x 10 pictures with or adjacent to the display showing how the tools were used would be great.  If you can afford to have some handouts available all the better.

I don't see anything heavy in the display, so it could be supported on 1/2 or 3/4 hardware cloth (square screen) painted flat black.  That would allow it to be backed up by burlap or better feed sacks or even flour sacks which a railroad would have carried as the location dictates.  If weight and transport isn't an issue another screen material would be the 5/32 diamond wire rimmed with iron that was common to depots in the steam era.

Whatever you go with use some brass wire or even black iron tie wire to mount the objects to the rack.  The rack itself needs to be flat black to minimize distraction of the eye and minimize flash bounceback.  If you hold any thing holy do NOT use a damn tiewrap.

I'd separate the display into 2, tools that kept the machinery working and tools that kept the roadbed operable.

That's just my opinion, do with it as you choose.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:55:55 PM »
When I showed at our museum here, I made 8x10 prints from catalogs and patents, which I matted and showed on separate panels near the wrenches. In display cases, I put patents and other papers under the wrenches.

H. D. Smith Catalog and display by Noel C. Hankamer, on Flickr

Bicycle and alligator wrenches by Noel C. Hankamer, on Flickr

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »
Stoney:

I'd use a couple of 4 x 8 quarter inch white-painted peg boards, each mounted on 2 x 3 frames. then hinge the two frames along adjacent 8 foot frame members. Then stand it up, and mount objects on it, heavy stuff at the bottom, using appropriate peg board hooks.  Use peg board hook retaining clips to ensure nothing falls off.

Bob

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:55:13 AM »
I don't know what write ups you have, so excuse me if I tell you something you already know.  Group the tools as much as possible according to the work they do -- like Aunt Phil suggested.  This way, they tell a story, and pictures of them at work add to that  story.  A picture makes them alive.

You want nothing to distract the eye from the tool.  While the picture blown up to 40 X 90 sounds good (and would look good by itself)  it makes a distracting background.  Think how you would display a piece of art.  I would display the tools against a solid background rather than a grid.  I've seen art displayed on a grid, and it loses something; it doesn't draw the eye to the art.

For people like us, it doesn't matter so much, since we're drawn to just about any tool.  The focus and interest is already there.  For the general public, though, you have to make them want to focus, you have to make everything easy for them to see.  And easy for them to imagine these old tools and how they worked in life. 

I can display a T handle augur, and tell you it was used to drill bolt holes in the beams that made a trestle,  but that doesn't do the same job as displaying a photo of several workers boring holes in a trestle with the same augur. 

A museum is not just a collection of artifacts.  It's about education and scholarship.  You're not just going to show people things; you're going to teach them.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »
A museum is not just a collection of artifacts.  It's about education and scholarship.  You're not just going to show people things; you're going to teach them.

My sentiments exactly!

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
Thank ya'll for the advise.  It made me stop and rethink my plans.  With the help of my son and my brother, I'm now going to build 4 - 4 foot by 8 foot panels out of 2" x 3" and cover in plywood.  One I'll cover in tin and build a tool board on it ( maintenance tools), one I'll cover in 1/8 inch, I don't know what to call it, but it's the same material as pegboard but without the holes.  I'll overlap it and make it look like a riveted steel sided boxcar (operations tools.) Two I'll vertical sheath and make it look like the inside of a section tool house (track tools).  On the backs of each of the panels, I'll cover with burlap and mount my railroad calenders.  I'm also trying to design a way to put in a telegraph pole with cross arms and insulators.  I have a climbing dummy I use for teaching tree climber rescue.  I can mount him on the pole as a railroad signal repairman.  That would be the bomb.  Again thank all of you for the suggestions.  I'm working up plans and I'll post them when they are done.
                                                                                                                 Stoney
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
Be sure and post photos of this creation when it is complete! I'm sure we all would like to see it.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
Great plan Stoney! I'm glad that you have help. I was worried about your energy level right now. A tip that I learned from movie prop makers. Use paintable caulk for fake welds and if you are careful, you can make rivet heads with a caulk gun. I saw it done for the John Dillinger movie. They built a whole armored car over a '36 chevy truck. It was all masonite (peg board without holes). Two guys built it in two days. Dummy here, forgot to take a picture. After it was painted, it really looked like weld and rivets.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:00 AM »
I can easily show/explain how to make the welds ( dont ask me how I know :) ) with the caulk gun if needed
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Other than Hollywood and your last day on a really crappy job, I can't think of why you would know about welding with caulk. How do you know that?
JIS