Author Topic: Garage Sale day 1  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: Garage Sale day 1
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2024, 10:52:09 AM »
2-inch Wilton? Was it ever used? Did you check the date? Great purchases, congratulations.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2024, 03:00:50 PM »
Hello, Lewill2. Thanks!  4" Wilton 1740 Tradesman Mechanic's Vise . Catalog calls it a Bullet , but the sides are milled square . 1993 date on the slide.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amecks

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2024, 08:29:28 PM »
Hi Lou.  Love that vise.  What tools am I looking at in the first picture?  Stanley tools, but what are they?

Today I picked up an IHC wrench for a buck.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2024, 07:08:30 AM »
Hello, Al. Nice score on the wrench! The first picture , Stanley No. 83 Cabinet Scraper on the left ,  on the right is a Stanley 71 Router Plane , and at the bottom is a Stanley 386 Jointer Fence.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2024, 12:26:24 PM »
It's interesting how many variations of scrapers the manufacturers made back in the late 19th/early 20th century, some of which survived quite a while.  I'm not sure the #83 was a cabinet scraper; it could have been a floor scraper.  Hardwood floors were customarily scraped both after installation and as part of refinishing, and Stanley made several scrapers for that purpose, in addition to cabinet and other scrapers.

Then sanders powered by electrons rather than sweat came along, and scrapers become much less critical, although some, like the #80 Stanley cabinet scraper, survived a long time because they were very useful tools.  Although Stanley's stopped producing them, there are still companies out there making versions of this particular tool.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PM »
      Hello, Bill. John Walter's  description for the 83 is Cabinet Scraper , although John Walter's write-up suggests using it on wood floors . I also looked at Patrick's Blood & Gore , and he refers to it as a Wood  Scraper  , although no mention of suggested usage. Thanks to John Walter and Patrick Leach for the info and photo. Funny thing is , I have yet to find it in an original catalog . The quest continues! Sorry about the photo , you need to click on it for correct orientation!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 02:45:52 PM by lptools »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2024, 05:31:16 PM »
I've got a reprint of a Stanley Rule and Level Company catalog that lists it.  It doesn't describe what it's for, but does mention that the roller is there to reduce strain on the workman's wrists, implying to me that the workman in question is above the tool and leaning over it, which would mean floor scraping.  Also, the handles are removable for working into corners, for what that's worth.

They also don't describe what the #80 is for, although the #81 is called out as a cabinet scraper.  Some of the scraper planes are called out as cabinet tools; others as veneer scrapers.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2024, 09:36:08 PM »
Hello, Bill. Thanks for the info!  I just couldn't my head around someone kneeling on the floor and pushing this tool around! I could see it used for stairs , or in tight corners . That must have been back breaking , either way . I need to get this one cleaned up , and give it a test run! Still not sure if the blade in it is either correct , or, original!