Author Topic: New Handplane Project  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Yadda

New Handplane Project
« on: July 27, 2024, 03:02:03 PM »
At a recent estate sale, I found this Stanley No. 4 ribbed plate plane. It was a throw-in item to induce me to buy two tool boxes I didn't need. It appears to be a Type 11 manufactured between 1911 and 1918.  The blade has the Sweet Heart logo which is a little confusing since it is from a later time. It is missing the lever cap, but the rest of the plane is in good shape with no cracks. It does need a major cleaning.  More to come on this tool.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: New Handplane Project
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 12:29:38 PM »
A worthy cleanup project.

As to the blade: blades were replaceable items.  Maybe the old one got sharpened past usefulness, or bent, or lost; and the owner stopped by the hardware store* and picked up a new blade.
-----------
*This being back when hardware stores carried things like new plane blades/irons and didn't just refer you to the internet.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2024, 07:00:50 AM »
Thanks Bill.  I thought that was probably the case. 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2024, 09:13:08 AM »
Next step.  Most of the basic cleaning is complete. Rust removed and lubricated.  Reassembled for progress comparison. The knob has a small crack along the grain that needs to be repaired.  I assume wood glue and a clamp should work. 

Offline geneg

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2024, 02:51:07 PM »
Nice looking plane & great cleanup. #4 is a handy plane to use.
Use caution clamping the knob to glue it.  I've had them pop the crack across the opposite side as you tighten up the orig crack side.
I've thought about soaking the next 1 in water (or steaming it) to soften the fibers before trying to close the crack.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 06:09:18 PM by geneg »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2024, 03:40:11 PM »
If you can find a suitable piece of wood, you might shave off a filler and glue it in, then clean it off with a chisel.  With the right wood, the repair could be pretty subtle.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2024, 06:24:19 PM »
Great feedback.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 10:27:41 PM »
Update on the Model 4, Type 11, Stanley Bailey plane. I went back to the estate sale and poked through all the tool boxes.  I was able to locate the original lever cap. The Stanley Sweetheart iron must be a replacement because it is from years later. All the rust has been removed.  It is ready for sharpening and a little tune-up.