Author Topic: Open to suggestions  (Read 427 times)

Offline Model 12

Open to suggestions
« on: January 30, 2024, 07:45:52 PM »
I'm in sore need of advice.
This Skilsaw 825 8-1/4" Wormdrive I fixed up. Discovered it leaks oil. Needs a new gasket. But I can't get started with the Bearing Holder removal without the Bearing coming along with it. And I can only ease it up barely with a Slotted Driver. Torquing on it with much effort scares me, thinking I'll damage the bearing.  I have no experience with this situation. I checked to see if my thin jawed  Bearing Puller might remedy the situation, but the jaws can't fit enough in there to engage it.
Only thing I can think of,:
1. Grind the undersurface of the Bearing Puller jaws till they slip in there and engage.
2. Use a Deep Socket size same as the Outer Race of the Bearing. Instead of the Inner Race.
3. Before starting,  WD-40 the Inner Race so it might free up and slide on that spindle. Outer as well.
4. The Bearing Puller active part can tighten down on the square drive top of the Socket.
My reason for saying all this is, if I'm at least part way on track it could save you some time explaining things.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
Re: Open to suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 10:59:16 PM »
OK, I'll take a shot at this...If I'm understanding the situation...  the outer race has a groove that you can access with your "flat driver", yes? have you tried heating the housing? aluminum expands considerably more than steel, this might loosen up the bearing enough to pry it out. maybe polish the shaft above the bearing mount area to ease the movement of the inner race.

Joe B

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 02:12:56 PM »
Thanks JoeCB
I've been tied up for awhile so I didn't get back here. I'll attempt what you're telling me. As they say, "listen to the voice of experience." 

Offline Model 12

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 01:25:19 AM »
JoeCB,
Well I finally could get back to it and I just put everything away. I started off with the Heat Gun. I was trying to access that groove with the Slotted Driver like you said. I took to prying,  rocking the Bearing Holder hoping that would help open up that groove some. I noticed Holder rose up some. Thanks to heating I'm sure. That was enough to allow my Bearing Puller jaws to slip in. and engage it.  I heated it up again and the Bearing Puller took her right on up the shaft.
Picture 1: Figured on using PERMATEX to replace that old gasket.
Picture 2: Reverse side of the Bearing Holder. More to her than I thought.