Author Topic: Craftsman v= versus =v=  (Read 590 times)

Offline kayjayjay

Craftsman v= versus =v=
« on: April 10, 2023, 05:39:15 AM »
I’m awaiting delivery on a metric Craftsman v-series combination wrench lot. Many of them sport a v=. Should I assume these are the same as =v=?

Offline Yadda

Re: Craftsman v= versus =v=
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 05:34:07 PM »
Similar yes, same no.  =v= was manufactured earlier (1946 to 1967ish) probably by Moore  Drop Forge. -v- came later, (1968 to 1986ish) and was probably made by Easco.  Part numbers started around 1974.  Thanks to Garage Journal for this info.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 08:33:08 PM »
Those are likely =v= wrenches that are not completely stamped. The -v- wrenches are made later like Yadda mentioned. They started putting part numbers on the -v- wrenches. The =v= wrenches don’t have part numbers. The earliest =v= wrenches have pointed “A”s in the Craftsman markings. Jim C is quite knowledgeable about these.
-Don
The wrenches shown immediately below are -v- metric combos with part numbers. The lowest pictures show that Moore drop forge wasn’t always consistent in their =v= markings
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:41:52 PM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline kayjayjay

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 07:31:10 AM »
Those are likely =v= wrenches that are not completely stamped. The -v- wrenches are made later like Yadda mentioned. They started putting part numbers on the -v- wrenches. The =v= wrenches don’t have part numbers. The earliest =v= wrenches have pointed “A”s in the Craftsman markings. Jim C is quite knowledgeable about these.
-Don
The wrenches shown immediately below are -v- metric combos with part numbers. The lowest pictures show that Moore drop forge wasn’t always consistent in their =v= markings

Good news! That’s what I was hoping for. And looky there… There’s even like that mine in your photo. Noted about the pointy ‘A’s. Interesting. Thanks for the info and photos.

Yada, interesting about the numbers. There’s a couple of those in this lot too (not pictured).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:34:25 AM by kayjayjay »