Author Topic: When it's not a Vise Grip  (Read 696 times)

Offline moparthug

When it's not a Vise Grip
« on: January 11, 2023, 01:12:01 PM »
Wandering through a barn sale and noticed a black painted Vise Grip in a bucket of rusty bits. Meh, I don't need that. Wandered around for another 30 minutes and ended up back looking in the bucket again. Sure looks like a Vise Grip, feels like a Vise Grip, works like a Vise Grip, but it's not. Seymour Smith Snap-Lock, No.1610, Oakville, Conn. This one is new to me, and couldn't find out much online. Anyone know the story of Seymour Smith & Sons not-a-vise-grip?
Rogue River, OR.

Offline amecks

Re: When it's not a Vise Grip
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 04:55:05 AM »
I usually avoid brand x vise grips...but those are interesting.  A quick search came up with...
https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2015/02/seymour-smith-snap-cut-secateurs-snap.html
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 09:39:53 PM »
Lately I have been drawn to vintage locking pliers, if in decent shape, too often these have been abused or modified.  Vintage locking pliers other than Vise Grip that is, have plenty of those.  Interesting to see the little variances to keep away from the Vise-Grip patents.  At the Nebraska State Fair one time, the company put up a huge display board, over 200 different tools.  Some originals from before WWI were included.  The rep pointed out the ugly gray models built during WWII,  which I was told were plated with low grade silver oxide, chrome was not available.   Some 30 types built on purpose for other companies.  He also shared that they spent as much money on patent infringement lawsuits as was spent on advertsing.  They even caught a company stamping vise-grip and nebraska on their off-shore tools.  Havent seen but one Seymour Smith tool, interesting.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:46:59 PM by john k »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline moparthug

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 08:58:45 PM »
Mostly known for garden tools, pruners and such. I wonder what else they made besides these vise-grips, other types of pliers, maybe even wrenches for special applications? I guess I need to do some more digging.  :smiley:
Rogue River, OR.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 07:54:41 PM »
Interesting post, another one I need to find.