Author Topic: ReStore - was nearby so stopped in...  (Read 572 times)

Offline amecks

ReStore - was nearby so stopped in...
« on: November 23, 2022, 03:32:50 PM »
I had an errand today in Syracuse, so drove about 4 miles to the ReStore.  I bought 3 six-packs.  Of Nicholson hacksaw blades, that is.  Found another Barcalo-Buffalo 11/16 x 19/32 open end wrench.  And I picked up the rusty looking 8" Diamalloy adjustable - I could feel the wheel move slightly, the jaw also had some movement and the screw looked to be in good condition.  I was able to get it apart with a little bit of heat from propane.  It cleaned up really well.  It has the number AT-8029 neatly stamped on the handle. See photo.

Al
Jordan, NY

Online gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: ReStore - was nearby so stopped in...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 08:48:16 PM »
Nice adjustable, Don't see them to often. Good find

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »
I believe that your new Diamond adjustable is wartime and was included in the incredibly valuable Merlin Packard aircraft motor toolset.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
WOW!  Well, I thought it might be old since there is no plating.  Is it identified because of the AT-8029 number?  (Ugh,  I wasn't logged in when I read your post, so the picture did not show - now I see the AT-8029 wrench)
As rusty as I found it, there was some, but very minor pitting.  It cleaned up remarkably well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:27:58 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 12:34:43 AM »
Glad that got unstuck.  Was given a very rusty 12 inch Crescent at a swap meet.   After a vinegar soak, and much tapping the adjustment wheel finally moved.   Is in my user tool box.   Have a 10 inch Bonney adjustable, rusted solid.  Soaked it in used oil for months, a few minutes on the wire wheel revealed the body is cracked in 3 places around the slide.   Is a wall hanger now.  Like shopping at the Restore whenever we get to the city.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society