Author Topic: Jacobs Wedge Sets  (Read 338 times)

Offline Model 12

Jacobs Wedge Sets
« on: September 25, 2022, 09:06:29 PM »
I got some pictures here of some wedge sets for removing Jacobs Taper Chucks. These are JT6 for removing 1/2" (13mm) chucks.
The JT3 is for 5/8" (16mm). Yeah, I don't know why they number out of order that way. Be that as it may, I found two available makes.
The Jacobs Wedge Set is the first picture.
The second picture is a sideways glance of this same Jacobs set with a much fatter Henway set, as I call it.
Bottom picture shows one from each facing off at each other. Same size despite the thickness disparity.
The cheaper Henway is about half as much as the bonified Jacobs. But I would advise anyone to choose the Jacobs. I didn't do that. To my disappointment, I went Henway first.
I actually use both, but the Jacobs is far more often the only choice; JT3 and JT6.
It only takes a few seconds to remove the Jacobs Taper Chuck. Less that that to tap it back in place. One tap.

I got a situation, which I might be bringing up down the road.; concerning hammer drill threaded chucks getting factory installed with Loctite. Not the user friendly kind. It goes without saying that could present a problem.
Can't help wondering about why a hammer drill couldn't have  a Jacobs Taper Chuck? I suppose the continuous impact might be a bad thing for it.
I reckon more than one of y'all would know the answer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 11:15:43 AM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short