Author Topic: Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 2  (Read 776 times)

Offline Model 12

Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 2
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:56:02 PM »
Those black saw shoes got that way from this factory coating. Unfortunately that wears off and when it does rust takes to setting in.

Ran across this 1971 Made In USA Black & Decker 7301 Type A. Seeing a picture of the condition of the black shoe, figured I'd try out the black CRC Chassis Coat on that. It was cheap, but I have some regrets.
The Model 73 and others that preceded this 7301 sure were nice. I can't see why they gave up making those for this thing. Darn thing's put together like two halves of a clam.
When I pulled the trigger this terrible screech took me way  back to Texas. I was in the first grade and his girl had a mouse crawl up inside her dress.
Getting the shoe off this Black & Decker was a serious effort. Hammering on that 1/4" dowel pin with a punch was like breaking rock.

This real pretty 1980 8-1/2" Hitachi deserves preservation. I was holding off  on how things turned out with the the Black & Decker. But seems ironically I had nothing to gain by waiting. More than just scratches, it was already like a skinned knee on the front corner. I left the shoe on and gave it one coat.
I ran a test and the black does leave small marks on work. I applied the rest of the coats with clear. I consider this 42 year old excellent condition saw a special case.

Going forward, other than something special, I would restrict use of black undercoat to the shoe's top side. The working surface would be clear coat only. I would use a conservative approach. If there's no rust than go right ahead and clear coat over what's left of that factory black. If I could simply remove the rust and leave the rest as is, that's all I do ahead of that undercoat.
I came across another saw to put my change of heart into practice. It's a 1991 6-1/4" Hitachi; second from bottom.
Last picture down below is a group shot of the finished 6-1/4" Hitachi and Black & Decker's shoe only. The rest of the B & D  saw still needs work. I'm in no hurry.

If the black coat can wear away, it stands to reason the clear will do the same. Though there wouldn't be that unfavorable side effect of showing on the work piece. After extended use, it seems a fresh spray of clear coat would take care of things.
If I'm using the saw every day, no need to fret. It won't have a chance to start.
I sure appreciate Milwaukee "Aircraft Aluminum" shoes.

No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline Omeomai

• Good things come to those who bait
Re: Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:46:55 AM »
WinDozen, I spray mine with silicone after each use.  Just a thot.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:52:50 AM »
Hi Omeomai
I've been waiting for that one.
Does that mean you'd crawl under your vehicle and spray silicone on the undercarriage after driving through slush and salted roads. Wouldn't you rather just put your saw away immediately instead of spraying silicone on it, which won't stay there for long as it sits in the shed?
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline Omeomai

• Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 04:52:19 PM »
No. I wash the salt off first.  You think I'm kidding- ha!