Author Topic: Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 1  (Read 684 times)

Offline Model 12

Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 1
« on: June 20, 2022, 04:41:11 PM »
I was able to finish with painting this 1950s Hitachi 12" saw after finally getting the rust off the top side of that shoe. Turning attention to the corrosion on the shoe bottom, I also started thinking on how to keep it from coming back.
I thought of CRC Chassis Coat; intended just like the name implies, for undercoating a vehicle chassis. For water protection and rust prevention. Comes as a spray in clear or black.
The 4" belt sander lead the way with getting a finish on the reverse side of the shoe.Sprayed three layers of that clear undercoat, waiting a day between each. The new hard surface is both smooth and clear as glass.

After receiving my HD77 Made In USA Skilsaw, just one of the surprises the previous owner had for me was hardened clumps of wood glue/sawdust. They were scattered on the bottom of the shoe. Removing that resulted in the loss of some of that nickel plating. After seeing how well things turned out with the 12" saw, I did the same; spraying undercoat on that Skilsaw shoe.

Some years back, the Porter Cable Saw Boss sadly just up and vanished. All but forgotten now, cause this little 1976 Hitachi 6-1/4 Inch saw has touched my heart. And she is in remarkably new condition. The 16 foot cord didn't hurt either.
I'd never heard of, let alone seen a saw with a zinc yellow chromium plated shoe. That got me speculating as to why it was here for just a brief moment in history, never to be seen again. I came by this conclusion that it doesn't stand up to use for long.
Be that as it may, still looking new after 46 years, I think she's earned the right to keep looking pretty.  A few layers of undercoat spray will be keeping that yellow galvanized from fading away.

Let me be the first to say there's nothing to see with these finished result pictures. But that's just what you'd expect from the transparent nature of this clear undercoat.
Part 2 is for the Black Undercoat Spray. If you got through this, Part 2 is better. At least you can see the results.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:47:06 AM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline Omeomai

• Good things come to those who bait
Re: Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »
Winchester Dozen, what the heck, man?  That's professional work!  Do you sell these?  Just collect 'em?  Are you a professional refurbisher?

Offline Model 12

Re: Vehicle Chassis Undercoat for circular saws - Part 1
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 03:43:31 AM »
Oh Omeoai, you're far too kind. Thank you. You'll love this. This whole thing took a long time. And some months back, the first thing I did was the big saw up top. So right away, I happened upon this little case with the rusted adapters I use for the cordless impact driver. I don't care much for em but they come in handy and I was spraying em with silicone. I stuck em in vinegar for a spell and then I sprayed em with the chassis coat. This was months ago and I just took this picture. I have used em since. Still protected. No rust. You can see the red dust still in there from before. I don't want to go overboard with it, but seems there might be some uses for this stuff.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short