Author Topic: Two Old Slicks  (Read 789 times)

Offline Model 12

Two Old Slicks
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:16:49 PM »
Before and After. Thanks again to "Chop With Chris" video. I don't know what this very dark wood is, but it's hard as stone.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Two Old Slicks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
For what it’s worth, those are probably Japanese slicks/chisels. They use a hollow back like yours have. It makes it a lot easier to keep the backs flat, and also faster to sharpen them. You should find some Japanese characters on them somewhere.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »
Well Mike, you hit the nail on the head. These are in fact Japanese . Japanese for slicks is "sashi nomi" Nomi means "chisel"
I live in Japan. These were my late father-in-law's.
You don't happen to recognize that wood do you? For awhile I thought it might be persimmon.
And I looked hard, but there's no characters on these. There are on most all of what I got. Except for the PEXTO.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:28:24 PM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 09:42:09 PM »
Sorry, I don’t have a clue on the wood.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Omeomai

• Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 04:40:11 PM »
Model 12 (I love that name!), since you said Japan I'd bet my next paycheck that's old Keyaki, an indigenous hardwood tree long since used for handles and fine furniture.  It's sort of on the lines of walnut here, although it doesn't darken quite as much after being cut. 

If not, it may be Katsura, which the Nippon used on their Arisaka rifles, circa 1930s-1940s.  Now, if it IS Katsura, they rubbed a finish on it made of a Sumac style tree, and it's poisonous.  Funny I'd say this twice in 15 minutes, but please be sure not to breathe dust from it when working it.

But anyway, that's my guess.