Author Topic: Wrench and Clamp from Swap Meet  (Read 503 times)

Offline amecks

Wrench and Clamp from Swap Meet
« on: May 07, 2022, 08:33:48 PM »
The wrench is just a IHC tractor or implement wrench #G3170.  But the clamp is quite a piece of work. "Grand Specialties Co. No. 102DL Pat. Pend. Chicago, Ill."  This little clamp has unusual features.  Let's start with the quick-release screw - see the little tab under the screw?  Lift it and the it frees the screw to release or to slide into clamping position.  Once in clamping position, you lift the lever to tension the clamp, and releasing the lever releases the clamp.  The odd tabs on the back side seem to act as a grip for setting the lever.  Another feature I have not explored yet is that the screw clamp end seems to have a "pad" - possibly a rubber pad, but it is a hard material that flakes off - maybe dried aged rubber?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:38:33 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Wrench and Clamp from Swap Meet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 05:23:24 PM »
Hi Al, I wasn’t aware that Grand made a quick adjust clamp. They are/were mostly known for their quick adjust vises. The ones I’ve had were table clamp models with 3 in. Jaws. The only size I’m aware of.
Nice find!
Here’s the patent if you’re interested:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ce/35/3f/bf2cabf0ea9eee/US2374899.pdf

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:40:35 PM »
I had never heard of Grand Specialties.  And when I was handling the clamp I was trying to figure out what the lever did, when all of a sudden the screw released - I thought I broke something!
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
With an attachment or two, that clamp looks like it could be a valve spring compessor on old L head engines
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society