Author Topic: Heavy duty angle grinder  (Read 1224 times)

Offline bunger

Heavy duty angle grinder
« on: April 05, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »
Can anyone help me in ID'ing this angle grinder? The nameplate is all but wiped clean.
Milk crate suckage winner for February 2012

Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Heavy duty angle grinder
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 02:58:08 PM »
Looks like a Milwaukee, but that's as far as I can go.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 03:31:01 PM »
I thought the same thing when I saw the picture; Milwaukee. Could be a sander or polisher as well.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline bunger

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:39:08 PM »
Looks like a Milwaukee, but that's as far as I can go.

That was my first thought.
The nameplate does have remnants of red on it, so maybe it is Milwaukee.

..... Could be a sander or polisher as well.

Possibly. The RPMs are much slower than my modern angle grinders, but it's pretty heavy to be doing any precision work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:43:41 PM by bunger »

Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Model 12

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 03:40:35 AM »
In the top picture, those two black round things with the threaded center. Those are backing pads. It's a polisher. Milwaukee 5530. I hope you've been able to get that cup wire off.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:15:05 AM by Model 12 »

Offline bunger

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 09:07:11 AM »
In the top picture, those two black round things with the threaded center. Those are backing pads. It's a polisher. Milwaukee 5530. I hope you've been able to get that cup wire off.

The discs in the background are 7" grinding discs (cheap Cummins brand) that I won't be using. And yes the wire cup comes off easily.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 06:13:32 PM »
That's good, I been wondering about that. I use a lot of those wire cups. I had the threads of that seizing on this Milwaukee grinder. I got some thin wrenches to fit in there. I keep em with that grinder.
I looked at the schematics for your tool and I didn't see anything that a wrench could engage.
I had the newer Milwaukee 5540, but I gave that to a good friend a few years back.
You say it's a lower speed and those pictures are real good. The shots of that brush cap nails it down. The 5530 diagrams for 1974-82 are a match. The 1968 is different.
I can see where someone would use that wire cup on your tool. Using the regular wire cup on the angle grinder; 11,000 rpm, after some use the little wires fly off like arrows.