Author Topic: PORTER CABLE 368-1  (Read 836 times)

Offline Model 12

PORTER CABLE 368-1
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »
TYPE 2 Builders Saw   ----

I understand this saw was made about 1981. I'm not sure I can say it's "vintage".

I'd hate to see that word get all watered down till it don't mean much. Like so many have. Pretty soon, the way things are going, if someone gets frustrated with the vending machine and gives it a hard slap he'll be called a terrorist.

I'm sure some fellas in the forum have an understanding of what is vintage. I don't.

I'm hoping some of you all have experience with this Grease Fitting shown in the bottom picture.

Information for this saw is scarce and I need to know about the Grease Fitting so I can care for this saw.

I need help here.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: PORTER CABLE 368-1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 04:10:38 PM »
If you are able to remove the fitting, clean out as much old grease that you can from the cap and the grease tube. Add fresh grease to the cap and re-install, tighten the cap to cover the threads . Keep an eye on it for every couple hours of use, and tighten the cap about 1 full turn for every 2 hours of use. Once it bottoms out, remove and refill the cap, and you should only have to advance/refill the cap about once a month. I'm pretty sure the correct number for the grease 154-YX. If the tube looks dry/empty, a little shot of grease into the tube will help !!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »
Thank you. I was wondering if you might know about that.
154-YX is a Polymer Grease if I understand correctly. Do you know if there's generic name for that? Or any others that are closely related and equally suitable?
Might as well throw a wide loop if I can.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »
Sorry, can't help with any specifics on the grease. I still have the original grease with my saw!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society