Author Topic: PORTER CABLE 743 Type 1 MADE IN USA  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Model 12

PORTER CABLE 743 Type 1 MADE IN USA
« on: February 28, 2022, 11:42:07 PM »
There's a serious interest in certain older tools. They may not be vintage, but they are classic tools all the same, seeing as they're Made In USA.

Initially, the Porter Cable 743 Type 1 Saw was made in the US. But in 2004, Stanley Black & Decker bought Porter Cable and production of the 743 was moved to China.

Over time, I've seen a number of 743 Type 1 saws offered online. Some were either suggested or even outright claimed to be USA made, when they were not.

Those that actually were, I'm thinking could be one of the last circular saws made in the US.

A few years back, I ran across one of these National Treasures. Immediately, my eye took notice of the "PROUDLY MADE IN USA" decal. Well, there wasn't anything about where it was made on the Nameplate. As far as decals are concerned, a Texas Flag decal would fit there just as nice. And through the magic of decals, I could make a Winchester or Smith & Wesson saw.

Turns out it was genuine, but after that sad day in 2004 the US made decal disappeared, same as that "FRAMESAW" decal on the edge of the shoe. For a time a "15 Amp" sticker was put on there. And then nothing at all.

First shot shows the saw some years back, right after I got her. That undersized plastic case did a real number on the cord and boot as the 743 languished in it for years. I put a new one on there.

Then some time later ( pictures) that FRAMESAW decal is already wearing. And that brings up a point about well used saws having decals long since worn off.

I'll tell ya, the answer to the whole identity thing is the Serial Number on the Nameplate. If it's a six digit number only, the saw is American made. My saw's Nameplate, pictured below, has a serial number; 114280. If a saw's number in itself is less than 100,000; the serial number's first digit is 0.

Bottom picture is of a Nameplate that has a longer, complex Serial Number. There's the addition of an "A"; followed by more numbers still. It's from a like new saw with no decals and no mention of where it was made. I think anyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, but if someone tried to tell me this saw was not made in China, I would not fall for it.

This 743 of mine is a real sweet saw. I found that out when I first cut with her.

I'm even happier on account of being made in the USA.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 04:29:41 PM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: PORTER CABLE 743 Type 1 MADE IN USA
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:47:44 AM »
There's a serious interest in certain older tools........

Tools, and most other marketable merchandise, have migrated to a new business model.  Buy it, use it until it fails, throw it away.  If only modern tools lasted as long as the big wheel Yahzoo mower we had when I grew up.  I tried many times to kill that thing and failed.  I am a firm believer that the consumer/buyer drives the market.  We produce cheap tools, that generally fail because of quality issues, because that is what we want.  The man that concerns himself with country of origin, quality, and the life of a tool - well, he is now the exception.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:24 AM »
Hello, Model 12. I believe that saw probably was part of the last line of tools that Porter Cable manufactured in the USA. I have a soft spot for their tools, I live in Syracuse, NY, where they were first produced . Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Model 12

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »
OilyRascal,
And more Composite. Relying less on gears and such, and more on amps for power.
All this lighter weight thing, I can see how important  that is for the Trades. And how composite doesn't conduct heat or electricity. I understand all that.
But I'm beginning to believe that a good share of that agenda is just another way to make tools cheaper.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 11:42:23 PM »
Hi Iptools,
Well, Milwaukee's still making their Sawzall's in the USA. Last I knew. I got me two of them. 13 & 15 Amp.
That Rockwell 503 Belt Sander; how did that turn out for you?
[/

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 07:33:20 AM »
Hello, Model 12. I ended up selling  the Rockwell 503 on Craigslist. I had it posted on the Syracuse Craigslist, and got a call from a guy in Virginia, and I was able to ship it to him. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline genog

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 03:55:24 PM »
Taking a drill bit to enlarge the hole, so you can use your bit and driver?

How about using the correct tool?
Get your self some torx drivers
It also looks like you can use a long slotted screw driver

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:57:10 PM by genog »