Author Topic: Stolen Craftsman Mechanics set  (Read 1212 times)

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
Stolen Craftsman Mechanics set
« on: February 19, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »
Hello all, I just got a distressing call from my Army son stationed in Glendale Arizona. Seems that some creep, got into his garage and stole his US made Craftsman Mechanics set that I had bought him 25 years ago. He will file a police report and insurance claim, but what to replace a US made set short of $$$ Snap-on or such. Any suggestions? He is in the market and willing to pay for a good set.  Complete 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 " METRIC with extra deep sockets for the two smaller drives.
Any suggestions for a good quality set? or maybe you have a set willing to sell.
I will also post this on the general discussion thread. 

Joe B 

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Stolen Craftsman Mechanics set
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:01:52 AM »
About 50 miles away from Glendale there is a Sears Hometown in Fountain Hills.  I think I would make a trip by there to see if any USA stock is left in the store.  My observation is that the smaller Sears Hometown Store generally doesn't move merchandise as fast, and they tend to have older USA stock.

Watch Ebay closely and you may find a USA Craftsman set at a descent price.

Sorry to hear they were stolen, and best of luck.

PS:  If all else fails, I should be able to help with a good number of pieces.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline geneg

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:27:47 PM »
Probably the best bet is to not look for a "set".  Be patient & just chase the components.  It's more fun that way.  Hit ebay, estate sales, & auctions- even craigslist or facebook marketplace.        He'll have the ability to update/upgrade if he wants to.   The sad thing is that the last few years of Sear's tools won't compare to what you bought 25 years ago- so you might as well look elsewhere.   Good luck.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 06:19:15 PM »
Probably the best bet is to not look for a "set".  Be patient & just chase the components.  It's more fun that way.  Hit ebay, estate sales, & auctions- even craigslist or facebook marketplace.        He'll have the ability to update/upgrade if he wants to.   The sad thing is that the last few years of Sear's tools won't compare to what you bought 25 years ago- so you might as well look elsewhere.   Good luck.

The Estate Sale.net app is lso useful in helping spot estate sales with tools.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »
Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I think that son has located the exact set that he lost, and it's in new condition. Problem is, it's in England, he is negotiating delivery options. Won't be cheap, but homeowners insurance will help a lot.

Joe B