Author Topic: SOLVED Can anyone help me with this missing part from PROTO RATCHET 3/4" Drive  (Read 693 times)

Offline rustyric

Hi from the uk, I have recently purchased a very used Proto 3/4" drive socket set, unfortunately it is missing a vital part, the ratchet to socket connector. As I am sure you can appreciate this makes it useless.

I am hoping that one of you guys from "across the pond" can help me by finding or selling me one, condition is not important as long as it works.

The ratchet is a PROTO 5649
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:13:19 PM by rustyric »

Offline humber2

Maybe a 3/4 square drive ratchet rebuild kit will pop right in and never be mislaid?

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
I have never seen a 3/4 Hex Drive Ratchet, let alone the drive plug!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline geneg

It won't have the detent ball, but just buy a 3/4" hex wrench or a piece of hex bar stock

from McMaster Karr
Hardened Multipurpose 4140 Alloy Steel Hex Bars Yield Strength: 105,000 psi
Hardness: Rockwell C35 (Hard)
These hex bars are hardened for increased abrasion and impact resistance. They are also stress relieved to reduce the chance of warping during machining. Also known as chrome-moly steel, this versatile 4140 alloy steel is used for a wide range of parts, such as gears, axles, shafts, collets, and die holders. It resists fracturing from repeated stress.
Wd.   Wd. Tolerance   Heat Treatment       1 ft. Lg.   3/4"   -0.007" to 0.007"   Hardened, Stress Relieved   6607K37   $22.52

Just cut a piece off to use until you find a real drive plug.

Offline rustyric

Good idea ! never thought of using a piece of hex bar stock ! that would solve the problem !

Offline Northwoods

I have never seen a 3/4 Hex Drive Ratchet, let alone the drive plug!!

That sounds like a good idea--but if you need a user, you might just buy one from the bay.  They come up now and again for $100 plus or minus.  And it would be a male drive, much superior.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
Hello, rustyric. How about a photo of the sockets? Thanks, Lou

Offline rustyric

OK I will get it organised and posted asap, they are not a pretty sight !

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
 You could cut down a 3/4" Allen Wrench.

Offline rustyric

I have solved the problem, however firstly I made a mistake, the hole in the ratchet is 1" not 3/4" . A friend of mine who has a engineering shop is going to machine a 3/4" square drive onto the end of a piece of 1" hex bar for me. I will post a picture once it done. Here is a photo of the sockets