Author Topic: Bought a box lot of these?  (Read 651 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Bought a box lot of these?
« on: January 05, 2022, 07:58:32 AM »
I bought a box lot of 28 of these, about half new and half used. I think I know the use but I'm not sure.  Paid $5.00 for the box with the intended use to be garden weeding (and they work great for that).  Don't let the name fool you as I think they are one offs.  All edges are sharp and the used ones had lanyards on them.

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Bought a box lot of these?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 12:37:56 PM »
"toolshop" is a Menards  logo?  not sure what type of knife it is?
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline geneg

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:59 PM »
How thick are the blades?  There used to be some similar with thin blades for cutting rigid insulation.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
Maybe an Asparagus knife, for harvesting ?

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
I think they would be good on rigid insulation, and many other things.  The blades are very thin and flex.  The reason I think they are one offs is because they are so poorly made.  For example the blades are very unevenly sharpened and the screws holding the handles on are uneven and many also have cracked the handle and some handles are somewhat loose.

Now, as to what they were likely used for by the owner.  The owner was in the business of servicing cell towers as well as building them.  The used ones are covered in some kind of heavy silver/cadmium paint.  I'm guessing these were used by him for scraping off old paint.  Some of the old ones were dull and others had been resharpened many times.

I have given some of these to a number of friends and they are finding many uses for them.