Author Topic: Haul from Alexander Steam Show  (Read 1160 times)

Offline amecks

Haul from Alexander Steam Show
« on: September 10, 2021, 03:08:11 PM »
This steam tractor show has a great flea market with lots of tool and collectable vendors.  Its about 1 hour and 45 minutes from here if you take the NYS Thruway.  So, the haul... not a lot of valuable stuff, 13.2 pounds of junk which felt like 26.4 pounds after carrying it around for 3 hours.
First row - Mossberg X-9, Barcalo (3), Powr-Kraft 13mm, McKaig-Hatch, Snap-On rusty OXV1618, neat tiny Blue-Point C2022, 3 Craftsman to complete a set,
Second row - Barcalo box wrenches, Duro-Chrome box with a Proto ratchet, An SK 10mm socket to complete a set, Wards Lakeside box wrench (Barcalo), Prize of the lot Williams 13/16 completes my set of Superrenches, 6 misc Superrenches,
Third row - brass brush, 1" plumbing brush, Ken-Tool G14 (drain plug wrench?), Mac screw starter, 90 degree drive no name ratchet (this thing cost $2 and cleaned up well, works perfectly), China wire cutter (China Clipper?), and Toyota branded pliers.
Everything was a dollar except the 13/16 $5, SK socket $3, Craftsman 11/32 $3, and the 90 degree ratchet $2.  One guy sold me 3 tools for $1.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Haul from Alexander Steam Show
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
Havent  bought a bunch that big in several years.  Did stumble on a 4 in. Diamond adjustable,  some more Fuller to round out a set I was gifted in 1966.  And in a handful of smalls at a junkshop, came up with a Berylco combo open end.  Plus the uusual Proto, Barcalo,  S&K stuff.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 07:07:00 PM »
Nice.  :smiley:

I haven't heard the term "china clipper" for a long, long time.   My dad used to refer to his false teeth that way.   :cry:

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:14 AM »
Al,
Nice haul. I like the little Duro partial 1/4” drive set. Are the sockets marked Duro Chrome or D-I? I’m working on a similar set.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:00 AM »
Hi Don,  Pretty sure they are marked D-I .  The only piece I need from that set is the Proto ratchet.  Will send whole thing for postage. 
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:07 AM »
That sounds great. Can I send you my Barcalo flat panel DOE wrenches?  I’m not sure if you still have my address. It’s
Don Houghton
1127 Washington Ave
Albany, Ca 94706
If you could wait a couple of week to ship them that would be great. Due to the Caldor fire we had to have our mail sent to the Bay Area but we won’t be back there for a bit. The Barcalo tools are there too. Fortunately, the fire missed our cabin! Let me know your PayPal and I will send you the shipping costs.
Stay safe,
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
OK.  Ready to ship - but will hold on for two weeks as you said.  So its the box, sockets, sliding T bar, extension and the funky 1/4 square extension.  I would like the Barcalo flat panels.  Just ship them and we'll call it even.

At the Steam Show I bought a nice "rabbit" dish towel for my wife (she has pet rabbits).  It was $4 but I handed the lady a fiver.  She wanted to make change but I said no. Then I asked if the table with tools was hers.  She said the stuff was her husband's and he wanted $1 per item.  So I picked up the socket set and gave her a dollar.  She said you already gave me a dollar but I said no again that's okay, thanks. 

I had a great time at the steam show.  My only regret was that I didn't look around some more at the booth where the guy gave me three wrenches for a dollar!
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 05:15:40 PM »
Hey, Al. Good karma on the wrench deal!!

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 09:43:04 PM »
Nice haul ... the MAC screw starter is my go to gizmo for those little brass screws in old magneto ignition systems.

Joe B

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:21 PM »
Al generously sent me the partial wartime 1/4” drive D-I socket set. I added some pieces to it today, probably too many. At least all of the sockets are included now.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 07:12:47 PM »
Is that the correct ratchet?  Oh.  I think there was a square drive extension about 3 or 4 inches long.  I thought it was junk and removed it from the box.  I will have to have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it.  Pretty sure its in a toolbox filled with stuff for donation to Tool Thrift Store.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 11:19:47 PM »
Yeah, that’s a Wartime Duro 1/4” drive reversible ratchet. They were male drive on one side and female drive on the other. I guess that covered a lot of bases back then.
-Don
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:21:26 PM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 06:36:15 PM »
That's a first for me , Don, never seen a two sided ratchet.  I could not find that square drive extension.  It may turn up eventually. 
Al
Al
Jordan, NY