Author Topic: What do you know about Wheaton?  (Read 808 times)

Online amecks

What do you know about Wheaton?
« on: July 23, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
The Wheaton wrench on lower left.  All I have found thus far is it might be a Newark, NJ company.  What's the purpose of this wrench?  The octagonal shape may be the clue.  The three point cutout is unusual also.

Just in case anyone's curious the wrenches are: Left side - Barcalo-Buffalo and an Eclipse wrench, both the same sizes; Commander thin wrench 9/16-11/16; Sears; Bridgeport angle screwdriver. Right side - all metrics - KYK 17-19; Venus 12-13; ambika 10-11; Heyco West Germany 8-10; Lumen Germany 13-17; a very nice unbranded 14mm combination marked Chrom-Vanadium; 13mm wrench seems to be a Makita tool.
The style of the Heyco and Lumen wrenches seems to have been copied by companies that do not brand their wrenches.  I am wondering if those companies are Japanese.

EDIT - With help from DATAMP I found a letterhead:  A.W. Wheaton Brass Works - Manufacturers of Brass Goods - Cor. Commerce St. and Railroad Place near Market St. Station Newark New Jersey - Builder's Hardware, Brass Railings and Grills,  Brewer's Plumber's and Fire Department Supplies.  The "Endurance" Patent Tank Wagon Faucet, The "Wheaton" Patent Bar Faucet, The "Special" Drinking Fountain.
  Must have been a good company as they supplied brewers and bar faucets (hic).  The address is pretty much where Newark Penn Station sits - or would have been adjacent to that location.  About 10 minutes from where I was born and from where both grandparents lived.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 02:32:01 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY