Author Topic: Questions about wrench brand collectibility  (Read 772 times)

Offline amecks

Questions about wrench brand collectibility
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:41:08 PM »
There are a lot of wrenches I have come across and passed by because I don't know if anyone here values them, or I don't know if they have resale value (ebay or swap meet sales).  Is it worth saving these and trying to come up with complete or near complete sets?
Some of these wrenches are Dunlap, Sears and Companion brands - all Sears brands.  The Dunlap wrenches are this type...

The Sears wrenches are Japan made, nice quality chrome wrenches, open end or combo like this one...

The Companion wrenches (I haven't looked closely at them) appear to be of similar quality to the "Sears" brand...

Another brand of wrenches made nearby in Buffalo are easy to find locally - Barcalo.  Are there certain styles that have any value?  I'll skip photos because most everyone knows the different styles and there are so many different styles.  Which of these is worth chasing after?  Also, I think there are Tomahawk and Arrow wrenches that are Barcalo made.
And lastly - McKaig-Hatch wrenches.  These seem to be nicely made with raised lettters, not too bulky for modern use...

So, again, my interest is to try to gather sets.  Not to make a lot of money but at least recover my expenses and have the satisfaction of collecting a set and getting it into the hands of someone who will appreciate and possibly use them.
Thanks
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

Re: Questions about wrench brand collectibility
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:51:27 AM »
Al,
I have quite a large collection of Barcalo wrenches and really the only ones with significant value are the wrenches that were part of WW2 Ford Jeep onboard toolsets and to a lesser degree WW2 GMTK toolsets. The other Barcalo wrenches have minimal value on eBay. I have sold a few of the “double grip” style. They seem to have a reasonable following. The other prewar wrenches generate almost no interest.
I have a Dunlap collection as well just because I kind of like old orphan brands but they have very little value on the resale market, in my experience.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 06:53:53 AM »
The flea markets I attend , all brands of wrenches have no value.
They are so cheap to buy at Walmart and Harbor freight that They just put it on the card if they need it.
Quality is about as good as those cheap brands from the past.
Very few wrench " collectors" in my area, not worth the table space.
Mine set in a tote under the bench , waiting to be scrapped.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »
 OK Don, Which Barcalo wrenches are the style(s) used in the Jeep tool kits and the GMTK toolsets?  Were other brands used as well?  I tried to find out what the "double Grip" style is but no luck.  Can you post a photo for me?
 Lostmind,  It is discouraging, isn't it?  I've been doing 2 to 3 swap meets a year (usually vintage motorcycle events).  Some folks will buy a set, but most just poke around in the bins just looking, with the occasional person finding 2 or 3 wrenches they need - but we're talking 50 cents to a dollar each.  And even then I'll cut them a break if they have a handful of items.
 I don't know quite why, but I like Japanese wrenches, especially if they're chrome plated.  I've come across a number of chrome Toyota and Honda wrenches which I think may have been offered to techs.  I've been collecting any "ABC" wrenches - nicely chromed, mostly metric,  Japan made - can't find much info on the company.  I have been using these in my motorcycle workshop.  The Sears and Companion Japanese wrenches appeal to me - but not so much to use them.  I may start picking them up but only because they are so affordable.  But I think I'll be leaving those old Dunlaps alone.
Thanks
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »
Al,
The first four pictures I posted are GMTK correct wrenches. The five smaller double open end wrenches in those pictures are the ones that came in Ford GPW Jeep sets. The last picture is of the double grip wrenches.
-Don
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:00:33 PM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 07:24:12 PM »
Thank you, Don.  I have seen quite a few of the doublegrip style lately.  Next week I'll go back and see if there is a complete set, and I'll check for the tool kit examples also.
Al
Jordan, NY