Author Topic: A Visit to the "Simpsonian Institute"  (Read 738 times)

Offline amecks

A Visit to the "Simpsonian Institute"
« on: May 21, 2021, 09:03:37 PM »
There's a Mr. Simpson in Elbridge NY who runs a flea market in his yard.  He has a sign up that says "Simpsonian Institute".  I went there to find a makeshift bowl for a birdbath which I found - for a buck.  I asked him if he had any old wrenches around.  He takes me into a barn that is packed full of everything you could imagine from the last two centuries.  "Any of these wrenches are $2 each" and he points to 3 small piles of pipe wrenches, wood handle monkey wrenches and several auto wrenches - for which I have a soft spot.  I bought these three- an 11" with a tire iron, and two Vlchek 15" wrenches slightly different from each other.  One will thread apart but the other will hit the stop (I'm keeping that one - I don't have any auto wrenches larger than 12").  I forgot to take photos before I cleaned two of them.
If it seems like I'm buying a lot lately - don't forget I'm still not working til June 1st and have too much time on my hands.

The one on the right is stamped Vlchek Drop Forged.  The other 15 has the V shield logo and there's a circular mark on the jaw.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: A Visit to the "Simpsonian Institute"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 09:25:16 PM »
Hello, Al. Nice finds. I know the place, have been there a couple times. Mr. Simpson quite  a charming, intelligent, guy.  I believe he may have been a Science teacher in the JE district. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:47:48 PM »
I have a whole boxfull of 9" atuo wrenches and quit buying them--except for the Ford marked ones.
I bought one today.  Ford USA was lightly stamped on--not forged in.
It was a lightweight Moore product.
Do you suppose it was near the end of the product line--near the end of including them in auto or tractor tools?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 11:19:40 PM »
I have several of these from different makers but I have NEVER see a 15" version, or even a picture of one, and you find 2 on the say day. Life just ain't fair sometimes.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »
I have a whole boxfull of 9" atuo wrenches and quit buying them--except for the Ford marked ones.
I bought one today.  Ford USA was lightly stamped on--not forged in.
It was a lightweight Moore product.
Do you suppose it was near the end of the product line--near the end of including them in auto or tractor tools?

Do you have a photo?  The script stamped Ford tools are typically service tools used at the dealer or at the factories.  I have not seen one with USA though, just Ford.  Does it look like it was the same stamp that made both?

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
No picture, but imagine a poor quality tool.
*It's actually only 8 1/4" long.
*The dynamic jaw is stamped, bent over laminated steel.
*The turnwheel is held in place by crimping
*The Ford script U.S.A is lightly stamped on the face of the dynamic jaw.
*M in a circle just below the rooster comb.

It is altogether sloppy and not at all suitable for use by a factory worker or a dealer mechanic.
It's yours for the cost of shipping.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.