Author Topic: opportunity  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Berryb

opportunity
« on: January 28, 2022, 10:32:00 PM »
I have been offered a chance to buy a pretty good collection of tools for what I think is a reasonable price. Most of the pile is old power tools, several of which I think are quite rare. The problem is the cords have been "cut off" for display purposes. Is cutting the power cords a deal breaker for power tools, or is that common? thanks
Bruce

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: opportunity
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:37:03 AM »
It certainly makes it difficult to test them. I would be leery, you don't know if they were operable before the cords were cut. If the cords have molded strain relievers, those will be hard to find. If you're just planning to display them as is, and you're ok with the price, that is one thing. If you plan to make them operable, that will be a lot of work!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
and you may be surprised exactly how 'valuable' electric power tools are

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Berryb

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
I have no plan to keep the power tools. I guess my question is; would another collector pass on them because of the cords? Is there any resale value, or are they just door stops? On most, if not all of them, the strain relievers are metal springs. Thanks
Bruce

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »
Hello, Bruce.Most of the corded power tools that I sell are in running condition. The collector's market for corded power tools , at least to me, is a tough crowd. Items need to be running, well cared for, and lhav a ow amount of use. Plus older electric tools have have a limited supply of replacement parts. Any examples of what you are trying to buy? Brand name/model number?
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Berryb

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 02:57:26 PM »
The tools are on the wall in a tool store that is quitting business. Mostly they are from the 40s 50s and 60s with some possibly older. Nothing made out of plastic. He is not open on weekends and is about 50 miles away. I will try to get pics, but in the meantime the brands I remember are Milwaukee, Skill, Mall, and others. The reason I am interested is so I can get to the wrenches and other hand tools but He wants to sell the whole pile at once, so I am wondering if there is any resale value in the electric stuff. Thanks
Bruce

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 04:15:58 PM »
something like this?...this one sold for $405.00
VINTAGE PORTER CABLE SPEEDMATIC 503 - 3" x 24" BELT SANDER

Offline Berryb

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 05:54:05 PM »
Yeah. that one is called the locomotive. There are a couple at least, but they are well used. I think the ones in the back may still have the cords. I think he only cut of the cords for the ones on the wall. Thanks
Bruce

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 10:10:09 AM »
If there is any sort of advertising or promo material, that would help a great deal.

signs, displays, price cards, catalogs, may be more valuable than the tools

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 09:39:23 PM »
Look at it a different way. If the hand tools and wrenches are what you want, are they worth more than enough to cover the asking price for everything? If so then the condition of the power tools is unimportant. If you do sell any of them it would be "found money" at that point.
Just a thought.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Berryb

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 11:30:59 PM »
Nope, I don't think the hand tools are worth the asking price, there are not that many. That's why I'm concerned with the power tools. Even without cords I think the money could be made up, but it would be much more difficult. Thanks
Bruce

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »
I have bought large estate lots at auctions and private sales for years.  I cannot count the number of vintage power tools with the cord that I had a hard time selling for 5.00.  I have had to scrap some sometimes.

There may be a market somewhere, but not around here.