Machinist Forum > Machinist

part of a tap n die set

(1/2) > >>

skipskip:
nice box, nicely made dies, and some taps

made by Wells Bros , Greenfield Mass

dont see a spot for the tools you need to turn them , perhaps came in another box?

oct130 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

oct131 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

oct132 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

oldgoaly:
There is a Wells catalog from 1889 on archive.orgabout 13mb  file size. I downloaded a copy a year or so ago.

Northwoods:
I have the Little Giant T&D set No. 1.
Has five of each--1/4" through 1/2"--even has the gadget to use with a woodworker's brace.  I'm guessing it is not practical for two reasons: Other sets do not offer it, and the Japanning is near perfect.

And a reminder to use plenty of lard oil lubricant.

lptools:
Hello, Skip. I looked through quite a few catalogs, but could not find that configuration. Does the back groove, closest to the hinges have a divider? I'm thinking this would hold 10 taps, and 10 dies? Die stock sold separately? What diameter are the dies?  Maybe a special order set for a specific job or machine?

humber2:

--- Quote from: skipskip on October 15, 2020, 11:48:42 PM ---nice box, nicely made dies, and some taps

made by Wells Bros , Greenfield Mass

dont see a spot for the tools you need to turn them , perhaps came in another box?

oct130 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

oct131 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

oct132 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

--- End quote ---

The last pair of stocks and dies differ dramatically from the rest which became universally known as American Pattern.

Has anyone located the patents for them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version