Author Topic: brass and wood folding rule identification  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Knightmedic

brass and wood folding rule identification
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Hi all, I was going through my Dad's old tools and found a nice brass and wood folding rule.  It is a 4 fold rule and 24" long.  It has no identifying marks on it other than the word SECOND stamped into it.  No brand name or model number nothing like that.  I was wondering if anyone would have an idea as to who made this?  Does the second stamp mean it is second hand or a second printing or something? 

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: brass and wood folding rule identification
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »
Hello, And welcome to Tool Talk.!!  Have you opened it all the way to check for markings? I'm guessing that "second" refers to quality, as in there may be a flaw or blemish that didn't make it past final inspection or quality control. The blemish/flaw may not be visible at all!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
Hi, Welcome to a great tool site.

Your rule is most likely made by the Stanley Rule & Level Co.  It has what Phil Stanley calls "double arch joint" construction. It was a rather rare type of construction. The fact that it is marked "second" makes sense since Stanley wouldn’t have scrapped an expensive rule. As Lou pointed out you may not even be able to find the defect that caused the inspector to reject it.

I thought I could give you a link to Philip Stanley’s excellent book on Stanley rules but I can’t since I don’t remember where I got it. If you are interested in learning more, message me with your email and I’ll send you a pdf of the book.  This goes for any other members that might want a copy.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Knightmedic

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:59:19 PM »
Thanks,

I checked every inch of it with a magnifying glass and that is the only mark other than the ruler marks on it.  I kind of figured it was a Stanley since it looks like the ones I looked up on the internet and Ebay without the Stanley logo.  Good to know.  I think it'll take up a slot in my apron for the time being.  It may have a blemish but it is still beautiful. 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
It probably wasn't branded since it was a second.  Or the branding was removed. Both are common
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
Based on the scales, the joint style, and the binding, I think it is a Stanley No. 78 1/2 rule. 

I like the seconds rules.  I have several in my collection.  You will also sell Imperfect, Cull, etc. on tools.  They don't seem to sell much better.  I have a Mossberg bicycle wrench on Ebay stamped Second Quality.  I thought it was neat, but have not got any bites on it yet.

Offline Mike H

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 02:24:42 PM »
Would this be a"2 Foot Rule" which can be used as a protractor?

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:09 PM »
Would this be a"2 Foot Rule" which can be used as a protractor?

Not really. It’s just a regular 2 foot, four fold rule but with the double arch joints and the brass binding, along with being marked "second" makes it rather uncommon.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools