Author Topic: Stanley No. 5 and a Fulton T & G Plane  (Read 1451 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Stanley No. 5 and a Fulton T & G Plane
« on: September 26, 2019, 01:24:49 PM »
Hello, I picked these up last night. In the foreground is a Fulton Swing Arm Tongue &  Groove Plane, similar to the Stanley 48. In the back is a Stanley No.5 (on the heel) , Made In USA Bailey on the toe. This has a corrugated bottom, maroon enamel on the casting, yellow enamel around Stanley on the lever cap. This still has the factory grind on the iron, stamped STANLEY MADE IN U.S.A.. The lateral has a folded lever similar to the Handyman. Was this another Stanley "let's use whatever is in the parts box and build a few planes"? Does this qualify as a Two Tone? I looked around, and found a site that had numbers for the TwoTone planes, an OH20 would have a maroon base & yellow lever cap, do they mean the entire cap was painted yellow? Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Stanley No. 5 and a Fulton T & G Plane
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
Don't know, but the maroon (Stanley called it "cordovan," a term I had previously seen applied only to shoes) planes were in the 1970s and are often a sign of the quality decline of that period.  I've got a mid-70s Stanley catalog, and some of the tools are blue, some are cordovan - so it wasn't a New Model Year kind of change, but one that kind of wandered in.  And it appears to have been a U.S. Stanley move; the few Made in England Stanley planes I've seen stayed black, the only proper color for a Stanley plane.

Nice clean Fulton plane - the knob is in better shape than the surface rust would lead you to expect.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
Hello, Bill. I am not sure that I would call that rust on the Fulton. I tried to clean it up with a little machine oil, and a soft rag, I didn't want to try anything too harsh.Definitely tarnish/discoloration on the steel fence. Nothing came off on the rag, so I am thinking the nickel plating ( I am guessing this was nickel plating ) has taken on a color of its own. Maybe the former owner tried to stop the plating loss/discoloration  from getting worse, and put on a clear coat over the metal (wouldn't be the  first time). I will try some lacquer thinner on an inconspicuous spot. The Stanley feels solid in the hand, despite being the ugly color of a pair of 70's disco shoes!!! Now I feel like I really overpaid at $5.00 each . Thanks, Lou  :cheesy:

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »
$5 for the T&G plane is such a good price that, if the No. 5 turns out to be low quality, you're still way, way ahead.  You paid about 1/8 of common eBay pricing.

The thing about the later Stanley planes was quality control, not necessarily consistently low quality.  So you can hope you got one made on a day when everyone was feeling like doing good work.

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
Nice planes Lou, good prices also! I’d be broke if I were in the USA! Living on a street corner somewhere, but I’d have a top tool collection with me!!
Jimmy

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 04:04:23 PM »
Hello, Jimmy. Thanks!!!  If I don't start selling more tools, and buying fewer tools, I will have my own street corner!!! . Regards, Lou :cheesy: