Author Topic: ADJUSTABLE CROWFOOT WRENCH  (Read 8600 times)

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
ADJUSTABLE CROWFOOT WRENCH
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:30:15 PM »
Well , I just wasted some extra cash today and bought me a Snap On # ADCF8 Adjustable crowfoot wrench.It's 3/8 drive and goes from 0 - 1". I thought it was a neat thing to have.I can't say if it's as handy as it looks yet.It appears to be a bit large to get into a tight spot.I also think Snap on will drop this in the future. What do you guy's think ?  Good tool or novelty ?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: ADJUSTABLE CROWFOOT WRENCH
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
I don't see any real application for it.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I don't see any real application for it.

Me neither, useless at tits on a bull.
 But I love it anyway!!
 What a great gadget wrench!!!  Its totally adorable!!
  yours Scott

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
I vote handy tool.

just  that ONE time you need it, and nothing else will work.

think brake lines or hose fittings...

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
Charles F. Coates obtained a patent June 17, 1952, Patent Number 2,600,617. I believe this is the patent that Williams manufactured their adjustable crows foot wrench under. They made a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch version. These go for pretty good money on eBay. I have one of each but mine have been marked by a previous owner. I have seen the Snap On version before and there is another version being sold in the UK but I'm not sure who the manufacture is. Just one of those things that you have to add to the collection because it is out of the ordinary.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
One of the Williams variety recently sold on ebay. I think it went for around $60

Offline kxxr

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
I'm in the cool tool camp on that one. Given the price of a full set in the size range it covers, it's a great idea. Whether is performs as expected is another question, but definitely a cool tool.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
I've been playing with this tool on my desk for awhile now and for a Snap On tool it has a coarse thread that not the smoothest think to adjust.I've oiled it up and it made it better,but not enough.The tool itself is a bit large. I haven't used this on anything yet,I feel where you need a crowfoot,this may not fit it a tight spot.A few years ago I cut the head off a Craftsman adjustable wrench to make my own crowfoot.It worked ok for my need but now just sits in the tool box.I think this is a novelty that will be sought after by collectors in 20 years just like the Williams. The Snap On tool is made in Spain and may be the same as the ones they sell in Europe.The ones in Europe sell for around $20.00 US or so. I was going to buy both the 1/2 and 3/8 versions.

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 11:12:13 PM »
I have the Snap on one. I got it because there is a fitting under one of the sinks nothing else will work on. After fighting the first time with it the cost of the tool seemed very reasonable when it came time to do it again.

For whatever it's worth mine seems smooth to adjust. Snap on bought an adjustable wrench manufacturer in Spain and I believe these are made there. Can't recall the name though.

Edit - they are made in Spain http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=77646&PartNo=ADCF8&group_id=20124&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:22:24 PM by J.A.F.E. »
All my taste is in my tools.